Any suggestions for making home made DIY seat covers out of bath towels?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any suggestions for making home made DIY seat covers out of bath towels?

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultAny suggestions for making home made DIY seat covers out of bath towels?

Because of high gas prices, I recently bought a '95 Honda Civic 5 speed 4 Dr to use instead of my Chev Astro van.* I'll keep the van to pull and launch/reload my sailboat but use the Civic for most all other driving since it uses half (or less) the amount of gas/mile.

Problem.

Dog is my copilot.

Puff (YF, AKC bench line, 63 lbs., DOB: 8-'01) often rides with me and I did choose the Civic with the tan interior rather than those with darker or contrasting interior colors with her fur color in mind.

I bought 4 large tan Martex premium bath towels, 2 for the 2 front buckets, 2 for the back bench seat.

My goal is to reduce the amount of Puff hair that gets onto the seat and plus also reduce the vacuuming time needed before I have anyone else ride with me. Like lady friends wearing dark slacks and sweaters.* I want something easily removed, but also easily put back in place.

The back seat will be little or no problem.* The top edges of the top towel tuck securely into the joints where the seat backs can be folded down to allow pass-through from the trunk.

But the front seats?

How to keep the upper half of one towel covering the seatback and the lower half covering the seat surface itself?

Should I have some 1" wide tan web straps sewn to the edges and then have some tan Velcro sewn to those ends?* Or maybe some loops of tan webbing sewn to the edges and thread bungee cord through those to hold the towel in place?

Or some other method?

Surely someone else has solved this problem.

All suggestions welcome.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Any suggestions for making home made DIY seat covers out of bath towels?

<bump>

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":

DefaultRe: Any suggestions for making home made DIY seat covers out of bath towels?

Hi Bob,

I have never head good luck making seat covers for bucket seats. I usually go to a swap meet and buy the cheap immitation lamb skin ones as they hold up the best and go on easily. I think they are around $30 a pair.

If you are going to try I would use the wide elastic available at fabric stores as the stretch will help hold it up like a rubber band. Also available there is fabric glue so you don't have to sew.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

Why not get a set of the massaging ball type seat covers and sew the towel to it ?

Get a cheap set cover and sew the towels to it. I you know someone witha set cover, borrow it and use it as a pattern for your towels

Hi Bob, You could sew elastic into the edges and slip the towels over that way. Or sew a thick string into the edges and tie it after you put it over the seat. I don't know if your car has them but I would discourage anyone with airbags from having their dog in front. If the airbags engage it could kill your dog.
    Olie

Trickster is offline Senior Member

[quoteI don't know if your car has them but I would discourage anyone with airbags from having their dog in front.* If the airbags engage it could kill your dog.Yep --and this is exactly why mine ride in the back with a safety guard to protect them. The way I see it, you wouldn't let your kid ride in the front without a seatbelt so why let a dog?

I had a Honda Civic with black interior. Sam is a yellow lab. He rode in the back seat. It was always an unmitigated disaster. I simply couldn't keep the hair out. And it was so bad that I was ashamed if anyone looked in the windows. So I wish you good luck, and I hope someone has some good ideas about how to manage it.

Frances

Maybe you can use those elastic bed sheet holder thingys. They have a clasp that attaches to the fabric.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

re: using some cheap seat covers, one requirement is that they need to be quickly removed and quickly reinstalled (like 5 minutes or less for either task) and I haven't seen any seat covers that meet that.* Are there some that would and if so do you have any recommendations as to brand?

I wish I'd been able to find a Civic with leather upholstery because that would have made the vacuuming really quick and effective.

I did Google "elastic bed sheet thingies" and several variations on that and finally found a website <http://www.pillowhold.com>.* I've just e-mailed them asking how long are their elastic straps for holding sheet corners together and whether the mouthes of the clips will open wide enough to grasp a bath towel.

There are a variety of ways of trying to solve this but I was hoping someone had already gone through several previous designs and settled on one that is cheap and very functional so I wouldn't have to spend* $30 on Design A,* $35 on Design B, before settling on Design C for $15.

I browsed a fabric shop and saw some bib overall type metal loop/clips that slip over a button.* That was one possibility but they're not cheap.* Also, there are those plastic clips such as are found on many dog collars and dog harnesses, flotation devices, etc.* But they're not giving those away, either, and they'd require getting an auto upholstery shop to sew on a number of web straps.

If the bed sheet thingy people don't have enough right answers, I think I'll mimic the laces on my New Balance shoes -- have one loop of web strap sewn in the middle of the narrow side/edge of a towel (like the center point/toe end of the laces) and then a series of loops evenly matched down each side.* Then I can thread bungee cord or elastic tape through these and tie it like a shoe lace.* That'll take care of the vertical seat back.* Maybe I can do something similar for the horizontal front seat surface.

Any other suggestions?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast