Need some advice on some things....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some advice on some things....

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

DefaultNeed some advice on some things....

Today I decided to leave a bowl of water in Tal's crate. He gets out every 2.5 - 3 hours for a potty break. When I got home at 2 all the water was gone and it was obvious alot of it got spilled in the crate. Well no big deal but I decided I wouldn't do that again. I took him out, let him eat, he drank lots of water and I went back to school.

I got home about 5:30 and as usual he was really wanting to go outside. He usually is ready to go out but a little more so today. That isn't really that surprising given the amount of water he drank, especially today.

Well, I have been putting his collar and leash on before we go out and that is a major battle. I feel more like I am in a wrestling match than anything! Except for today I get it on him and we go out he does his business, I walk him a bit and come back in and play some. If I had a fenced area I wouldn't be so adamant about the leash and collar because I don't want him to run off, plus it's easier for me to get anything foreign out of his mouth. In the few days I have been using the collar I loosened it a bit so its easier to get it on. I may loosen it a bit more tho I can put two fingers under it. Do you think I should continue to put the collar on? If he would be still (not that he knows that) I could get it on him in no time and we could go outside so he can do his thing. He has no trouble going when wearing the collar.

Most times, but not always when he goes wee he will need to poop. The problem is when he wees his behavior after he wees is the same (seemingly) when he just wants to play vs when he wants to poop. I have noticed tho that lots of times he will start to sniff and will not even try to eat a dead leaf, grass, etc when wanting to poop. But before he starts sniffing, he will pull on the leash and he also does that if he wants to play. Today he pulled really hard and I thought he just wanted to play so I just made like a tree and stood there. He yanked pretty hard a couple of times and I thought he wants to do something more than play. Icould tell it was really uncomfortable for him. What do you think I should do?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Need some advice on some things....

If I am understanding correctly you want to know if you should keep his collar and leash on? If so..then absolutely yes if you do not have a fenced in yard. Even with him being so young you just have to watch him like a hawk because he will pick up various things and you will never forgive yourself if he gets into something and winds up sick. Tal will get use to the collar and leash over time. It just takes patience. Others may suggest a harness with him being so young but sooner or later they have to get use to the collar. I'm sure others will chime in with some good suggestions but he sounds like he's just being a typical puppy and having a little fit with the collar.

Quote Originally Posted by HaleyJo03
    If I am understanding correctly you want to know if you should keep his collar and leash on?* If so..then absolutely yes if you do not have a fenced in yard.* Even with him being so young you just have to watch him like a hawk because he will pick up various things and you will never forgive yourself if he gets into something and winds up sick.* Tal will get use to the collar and leash over time.* It just takes patience.* Others may suggest a harness with him being so young but sooner or later they have to get use to the collar.* I'm sure others will chime in with some good suggestions but he sounds like he's just being a typical puppy and having a little fit with the collar.
    Thanks...yup that's part of it. I think alot of it is he needs to go really bad (he's still a baby yet) and so 2 to 3 hours for him is like 6 or 8 for an older dog. I just wish I could get him calm enough to get the collar on without having to wrestle him each time!

And you are exactly right. I can't even go there thinking about what might happen if I didn't keep him on leash. Actually, once it is on he does pretty well..better than I would have expected.

Thanks again and I am very open to suggestion!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

I would continue to collar/leash him as well. I guess if I were in the situation, and I thought he was desperate, I'd probably take him out first, set him down and then collar/leash him. But ONLY if he's slower than you ;D As far as knowing when he's going to poop vs. just wanting to play, I think in a few weeks he'll be on more a schedule and you'll have a better idea of when he needs to poop. For now, I'd just continue to let him lead you around on the leash a bit ~ he'll get more comfortable with it, and so will you.

I'm curious -- did you give up the x-pen for now? Are you just crating him ... and if so, is he accident free in the crate? I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Be consistent with him. He will pick up pretty quick that collar on means going outside for some fun. Lots of treats with the collar going on. Practice in the house when the issue is not URGENT!!!!. He'll get it. These labs are too darn smart not to.
    Pat

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I don't think I would ever let the dog out if it wasn't fenced. Even a good dog can see something and decide to chase it.

Kassa used to fight the collar and lead. She did get used to it with treats. I think part of it was she wanted her freedom. I was told if you let them loose too early you can have trouble with recall.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

He is small at the moment and a collar and leash is hard for them to get use to. Can you make him a small fenced area with temporary garden fencing such as this until he is a little older? I know I get a product similar to this at Lowes and use it around my rose bed to keep Cinnamon out. It is about 2 feet high in 8 foot packages and under $5 a package. This would give him a little room to run for a month or so without being leashed until he is more use to his leash. And it just pushing into the ground and is easily removed.

http://images.orgill.com/200x200/645...00/6450548.jpg

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

I agree with the others about the leash and collar. Is it a struggle to get it on because he is so excited that you just got home or is it a struggle every time? With Brigetta when I first come home she is so excited and I know she has to go the bathroom really bad so I always leave a snap collar attached to a leash near the door so I can quickly put it on. I feel bad when I'm trying to fidget with a buckle and she's sitting/wiggling looking at me like please hurry open the door I have to pee NOW! When it's not a big deal and she hasn't been holding it all day I always have her come to me and sit and then put the collar on...this of course took training. Pat's suggestion would be really helpful in your situation. Good luck!

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

georgie is offline Senior Member

I would keep the collar & leash on. You will get quicker at it. I also had the collar & leash hooked together so once the collar was on, we were ready to go.
    Be consistent, Tal will get used to it. He will realize the collar means he is going out.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsMyGirl
    I would continue to collar/leash him as well.* *I guess if I were in the situation, and I thought he was desperate, I'd probably take him out first, set him down and then collar/leash him.* But ONLY if he's slower than you* ;D* As far as knowing when he's going to poop vs. just wanting to play, I think in a few weeks he'll be on more a schedule and you'll have a better idea of when he needs to poop.* For now, I'd just continue to let him lead you around on the leash a bit ~ he'll get more comfortable with it, and so will you.

I'm curious -- did you give up the x-pen for now?* Are you just crating him ... and if so, is he accident free in the crate?* I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!
    I did give up on the ex-pen for the time being. Since a friend of mine can come and let him out at 9 and then about 12, that is working pretty well. yesterday, he had an accident in his crate (first one) and I think that is because when I took him out before I left for school, he wouldn't go...so he prolly just couldn't hold it. Other than that he is waiting until either I get home or he gets let out by someone.

I will let him lead on the leash a bit more....I try to but since he has only been using it for less than a week that's probably what I should do!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast