housebraking 18mo lab mix

Thread: housebraking 18mo lab mix

Defaulthousebraking 18mo lab mix

I have housebroke 2 lab puppies with great success, do I need to use the same techniques with an older dog.

He is a lab sharpei mix, very lovable, very untrained.* He needs some work, but I couldn't resist him.* He is crate trained but will potty on the floor after about 30 of being uncrated, even if he just went outside.* Poor guy, all he knows is his kennel.* He has been kenneled for around 23 hours a day for the last 6 months or so, his owners were never home to take care of him.

Any advice would be appreciated

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: housebraking 18mo lab mix

Same as for a puppy. Praise, praise, praise when he goes outside. Back in the crate if he doesn't. Adults are usually easier to train than puppies.

I have successfully housebroken many adult dogs. I foster for a Lab Rescue organization. You do it the same way as you would a puppy. Let the dog outside often. Praise and treat when he goes potty outside. Keep an eye on him constantly in the house, and run him outside the minute he starts to sniff around. If you catch him going potty in the house, get his attention and run him outside. Don't punish him for making a mistake, but DO get his attention by yelling "AHHH" or "NO"! Then run like heck for the door. "Outside... OUTSIDE... Hurry!" LOL Let him finish outside, and then make a bid deal out of it. "Goooooood boy.... YESSSSS..." ;D

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Awwwww, poor guy :'( Some people should not be allowed to own a "pet"!!!!!!! Pisses me off.

Thank you for saving him!!!!! Lab / Sharpei huh? Can you post a pic of him? He sounds cute!!!

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Thanks for the responces. I figured it was the same as for a puppy, and boy he'll do anything for some lovin.

Not only was he kenneled that much, he was usually only let out, once per day. He will not go potty in his kennel, I think he thinks," if I gotta go, I better go know before I get locked up again". He is such a sweetie though.

He is wild in the house, but better than my lab that I had since 3 mo on a leash, he is an angel on walks.

He looks more like a lab than a sharpei. He is a light choc color, about 65lbs, but has some of the extra skin on his back and forhead like a sharpei. He also has a curley tail that appears shaved underneath like a sharpeis, ear shape is also sharpeis, small and triangular.

Most people think he looks like a pit because of his head, but it looks like a blocky lab head to me.

I'll post pics when I can, he sure keeps me on my toes.