Such a Good Boy

Thread: Such a Good Boy

DefaultSuch a Good Boy

It seems like lately we've been so discouraged with a few "problems"we are having with Fergus.* IE...he pulls like a SOB on a leash and he mauls any company that comes over!!* We spend so much of our time upset at what he & we are doing wrong instead of being happy & grateful for all the good things he does.* I had an extra long day at work today and I was really anxious to get home to check on Fergus, but of course he was great and happy to see me as always! Seeing him so excited to see me made what had been a rather stressful day immediately better!* It really got me thinking how lucky we are that we can leave him free to roam the house while we're at work and never have to worry about him.* He has never been in a crate and has always had free run of the house and never once destroyed anything* * It seems like so often in life we get caught up in all the negative and lose sight of the positives in our lives.* I've made a promise to Fergus & myself to always be grateful for what he does that is so great and spend less time angry and frustrated at what we are having troubles with.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Such a Good Boy

Ruger pulls like a SOB and mauls company as well... and he's almost 5 years old and competes in obedience!!!

I don't dwell on his little indiscretitions. I keep him on a prong collar, and when company comes over he's on leash in the house so I can control him until he settles down (which thankfully he does do quickly).

Love your dog for his good points and continue to work on or control his bad points

That was a great post to read tonight. I needed that little reminder.

Thanks

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I think that being able to trust him in the house is worth a lot! You can work on the pulling and the mauling of guests. It's harder to work on trying to correct something he's doing when you're not there, other than crating him.
    I really liked this post. Congrats on such a good attitude!

Frances

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

Great post... and so true!

Thanks for the reality check, and *smooches* to Fergus!
    ~Jo & CoCo

RebaHalle is offline Senior Member

Ditto what Raian said.

Ditto what you said!

Personally, I like my dogs to be enthusiastic! It does take a while before Reba settles down to company as well. The initial sight and sound of Reba responding to the door bell is enough to scare everyone -- even those who know that is as far as it goes. Once contolled greeting is done, the girls are really good.

Judy, mom to Reba, the Lab, and Jalapeno (Halle), the JRT

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Great post!!! ;D

I think Eric and I sometimes live too much in the positive with Ender and forget how much he pulls on leash
    ~Lindsay

Great post. The one issue we have left with Emma, is the jumping up on people when she is excited and wants to see them up close and personal.
    And like you, I sometimes forget all of the wonderful things she does and how easy she is to work with. Thanks for the reminder.

You make a really great point! Thanks for posting that!