nm

Thread: nm

Defaultnm

nm

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Bailey and the cat

Buddy too is a very dominate dog, and i have a cat Toby who ive had for nearlly 13 years, and since getting Buddy unfortunently has retreated downstairs.

At first we tried to get them to get along, but all Buddy wanted to do was play, and all Toby wanted to do was for him to go away!

We ended up giving them their own spaces Toby downstairs, and Buddy upstairs, and they seem content with it all. I think if you get them at different times it may just need time to adjust to each other, i dunno we just gave up too soon.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Daisy who is six months old, loves our cat Mac who is a 5 year old male, 20 lbs, with all his claws. Needless to say when I first brought Daisy home, I was more worried for the dog than the cat. It turns out, lucky for me that the cat is very easy going around dogs (he was adopted so I had no idea what kind of background he had with other animals). BUT - Daisy is dominant much the same as Bailey - now Daisy is almost 50 lbs and Mac is no match for her. She loves to play, lick and try to bite at Mac's long hair. She will stand over top of him. He puts up with it, then when he has had enough, a good solid whack with paws, or a bite on top of Daisy's head usually occurs. I don't let this happen a lot because I don't want the cat constantly fighting off the dog. As Daisy gets older, she is getting better about leaving the cat alone when told. Since the cat has no fear of the dog, he often hangs out with us, so they are around each other a lot. I keep Daisy in the room we are in the same as you do, the cat has the run of the house. I have started using a spray bottle with water on the dog - if she starts bugging the cat, one quick squirt on the head area usually stops her. All she has to do is see the bottle now, and she knows she better stop!

Mybabymambo Guest

Vanis...I feel like you live at my house. Its the same way here. I would always correct the puppy, but the kitty starts it half the time. They get into slapping matches (does anyones else have a dog that always uses his paws?). I figured after time it would stop, but I have had Mambo since April 17.

I wish they would jsut get along, the cats have their own room and so does dog. my other two hang out in their room until puppy goes to sleep or is outside playing. But may Romey loves to pick fights. HE things he owns the house. I want some peace....Good luck with yours.

Sam and Sweet Kitty (SK) as we like to call him (however paradoxical that is) have this issue. Most of the time though Sam just kinda looks at the kitty like "What in the heck are you doing?" I think the cat is just plain being mean - especially when he just attacks Sam out of the middle of NO where! But am I sure deep down he feels like he has the right...I mean, after all he was there and established before Sam showed up. Sam has never given any indication that he would hurt SK...so we just kinda watch and laugh! ;D

Emma does the stalking bit too. Tip toes towards the cat, still and small as she can make herself and then charges.

The cat can almost always get away. I would say let them work it out themselves, especially because your cat is declawed.