Nemo's "failed" cruciate surgery?

Thread: Nemo's "failed" cruciate surgery?

DefaultNemo's "failed" cruciate surgery?

Nemo had traditional cruciate surgery (not TPLO) about 16-17 weeks ago. We were hoping that he would be nearly 100% by now, but after walking, running, swimming, or just laying down for a little while, his knee "clicks" and he limps for various amounts of time. If he plays hard, he will "toe-touch" for a while afterward. If he has just laid around for a bit, when he gets up, he has to "walk it off" and then still leans to one side when he stands. The PT people, when they saw him last said that he was coming along great, and was ahead of schedule, and they said we were doing wonderfully with him at home, stretching his leg (great flexibility!) and exercising him every night (sit/stands and swimming). I don't know what happened, but it now seems like he is back to where he was before the surgery, being able to do things, but limping afterward. I may have the vet check for drawer sign again. Nemo is 3 yrs old and 85 lbs. The vet says he looks absolutely great, and is not overweight at all (he's a big boy). Has anybody had any experience in seemingly "failed" surgeries? Am I just expecting him to be all better too soon?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Nemo's "failed" cruciate surgery?

I'm sorry to hear this. Magnum had the traditional repair and the only PT she had was what I did with her, walking and some swimming, my surgeon wasn't concerned all that much with PT and said most dogs will recover nicely on their own. Which she basically did. She is now doing agility stuff again and we are going to enter her in our local trial in October. She had her surgery last year around Thanksgiving, so it's not quite a year. Had I not known she'd had the surgery, I could never tell.

I'd have your guy checked by the surgeon who did the repair.

I hate to think I need to have him udergo another surgery, but he's just too young and too full of enrgy not to let him live the way he should. I'm starting to save up the next couple of thousand bucks, just in case the vet says it would help. If they say he'll limp like that the rest of his life, it will be a very sad day indeed!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

You might check out orthodogs.com. There is a forum there that deals with a lot of ortho surgeries, failures, questions, etc. Good luck and I hope Nemo is just still healing and will be fine.

Good luck with Nemo. That must be so frustrating for you and for him. Poor guy

MyLabsMom is offline Senior Member

I'm so, so sorry to hear this.

Not sure I have the right person, but you're in Hartford, CT, right? If so - who are you seeing?
    Brenda from Connecticut

Mybabymambo Guest

Hope you feel better Nemo.. :-*

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

I am so sorry. Poor Nemo. Have you been able to talk to the surgeon about it? Keep us posted.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

That's a bummer. Hope it all sorts out soon. I only have experience with TPLO. 2 knees in 2 months and everything healed in 6 months. You would never know Hudler had anything done except for the scars.

Yes, I am in CT, but now Branford, not Hartford. I am having him see Dr. Carter at Mill Pond Vet. Hospital. Dr. Stanbaugh in Springfield was the recommended surgeon. I will let you all know what the vet and or surgeon says. It is heart-wrenching to see him limp, when I know he should be better. Hate to think about spending thousands more on the situation, but he would be worth every penny of it if it comes down to that. Hopefully, he is just not fully healed yet, and maybe we let him go too hard too fast. Time will tell. Thanks for all the well wishes. I have to figure out how to post pics on here, and you'll alll see what a handsome boy Nemo the wonder Dog is! ;-)