Strange Behavior

Thread: Strange Behavior

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

DefaultStrange Behavior

Ok...a few minutes ago I took Tal out for his potty break, we played a bit and he got really bitey..nothing ususual there...so I tried to get him to eat and drink some water...nothing doing. I put him in his crate 'cause I wanted to keep from getting frustrated. It's not potty or hunger so I thought maybe he needs to sleep...well won't do that either. He has been whining for the last 15 minutes or so. Other than the he seems fine. Actually, if he had eaten when I took him in on this it would have been unusual.

The only other explanation I can think of is we seem to be moving into some thunderstorms here. I wondered if that could be what has made him so hyper. What are your thoughts? He will usually calm down if he either gets something to eat/drink or I put him in his crate!

Well, he seems to be getting calmer. Tho still whining a bit. Maybe he is just mad because I am not paying any attention to him right now??

Well he finally calmed down and is now sound asleep. He had a really big weekend, met alot of folks, and I played with him a little more than usual today. The little guy is probably still worn out. Thanks for listening...sometimes writing thru things like this helps you to better think thru it!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Strange Behavior

Like small kids who are tired puppies become PITAs when they're overtired.

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Well, I can only share w/ you what I did. Whenever Sami got really hyper, bitey or wild, I just ignored her. Completely. If I was on the floor with her, I stood up and looked the other way. I felt like giving attention to her behavior would only serve to reinforce it (I mean after all, they aren't really listening to you when they're like that anyway) What I learned was that when I ignored her she would stop the craziness to try and figure out why I had quit playing with her. Once she was calm, I'd go back to playing with her. When she started the wild stuff again, I'd repeat it all over again. Honestly, she learned really quickly that nipping, jumping, hyper behavior got her zero attention.

Hope that helps.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

TMG...thatks for the suggestion. I will try that. I have been just saying no and giving him a chew toy..maybe I have inadvertently reinforced his behavior.

And Nelliesmom...once he woke up he was still a little bitey....so I just took him out to wee and put him back in his crate. he has been sleeping ever since. And you are sooo right...when really tired he gets to be a real PITA.

I'm going to wait another hour, wake him up, take him outside and he should sleep thru the night.

Thanks to both of you! I think I will try ignoring him when he gets bitey again....that is a great idea. Unless coming directly out of his crate, he just goes to the door and I know "the look" so I can take care of that!