New crate or not??
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New crate or not??

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

DefaultNew crate or not??

When Buck stands up in his crate the tip of his head touches the top of the crate. I don't think he can stand up and prop his head up straight...When he does a proper sit in the crate...not one of those lazy labby sits...the top of his head definitely touches the top of the crate.

So time for a bigger crate? or should we try gating him in our mudroom area. It's about 10-15 feet long and 6-8feet wide.
    Keep the old crate for him to only sleep in and just gate him when we aren't home? or get new bigger crate?

I just don't know if I can trust him out of the crate. There isn't much he can destroy in the mudroom area other than the dry wall and possibly the closet door...What do you guys think I should do?

Giving him free roam of the house is definitely NOT an option. He is absolutely not ready for that :P

Our garage has windows and is basically one big insulated room but has no heating. But I don't like the idea of leaving him in the garage when we aren't home.

oh yeah he fits fine laying down. Usually he is curled up and when he isn't curled up and just sleeping on his side he has enough room.
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jakeysmom Guest

DefaultRe: New crate or not??

Hmmmm....I am interested to see what people say. I am in the same situation as you. Jake is NOT ready to have free roam but I want to give him more room...although he does love his crate and goes in there all the time when we aren't home.

The other day my husband didn't feel well and was rushing around all morning. He left work early due to a migraine and came home to find Jake sitting at the front door. He had put him in his crate, but forgot to shut the door!!! Jake was awesome and left everything alone, but I still have a feeling that giving him free range could lead to major destruction!!

If they sit up, yes their heads will touch the top, but they are supposed to be laying down Whether you want to buy a great dane size crate or gate him in the mudroom is completely up to you, but if he can comfortably lay down and turn around, I think you're good to go.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Oh ok! I was not sure if that's enough room or not
    He also has to stay in there 7-7.5 hours a day which is why I feel extra bad
    But I am also apprehensive about leaving him out of a crate... :

Golfgirlrobin is offline Senior Member

I think either the crate or the mudroom is fine but if you go with the crate, definitely get a bigger one. A dog needs to be able to sit up and stretch, especially if they are going to be spending the entire work day in there.

I wouldn't want to spend the day in a room where I couldn't stand up without hitting my head so I wouldn't want my dogs to either.

I'm composed of 85% kick-ass and 15% crippling self-doubt.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

My guess is the crate is fine. They normally sleep in there not sit up straight. What size is it? We have 48" ones at home that are pretty big, but I use a 42" one at shows, and often pop 2 dogs in them, so I bet yours is OK...unless it's smaller!

I vote try the mud room. Cinnamon always had the Newfie size crate but at 8 months was ready to be left alone in the fa mily room with just a gate. We had used the gate since we brought her home to teach her to stay in the family room when no one could watch her. It is pretty much puppy proof unless she decided to eat the furniture which she showed no interest in.

Try putting her in the mud room when you leave for a short time and see how it goes.

By the way Cinnamon has always preferred her smaller 36" crate to sleep in but I agree if crated all day a large one is in order.

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

I vote for transitioning to more space. I started leaving Lucy for short periods of time gated in the kitchen around 6-7 months of age and she did just fine. Has never gotten into anything or gotten into trouble.
    I still used the crate if I was going to be gone longer than I thought she could handle it. The crate you have sounds fine for now.

It is a 36" crate I believe. He can lay in it just fine but I just don't feel right about keeping him in there for so long anymore. I put myself in his shoes and well I don't like it :-\
    The crate is rated for a dog up to 70lbs in weight. He is about 65lbs now.
    He has never shown any interest in chewing walls or doors or anything. I have heard of labs doing this. That is pretty much what he'd have access to in the mudroom...walls and doors. He is 9 months old now. Perhaps I should slowly start transsioning him into getting used to a gate.

Thanks for all the input guys

wiscpayton is offline Senior Member

Within the last 2 weeks , we just transitioned Payton ( 6 months) into a new set up. We built a kennel in the basement about 5 1/2 feet X 3 1/2 feet. It is enclosed with chain link fence and a door on one end and just the concrete basement floor. We placed her crate , with its door removed inside this new enclosure. It has worked out great while we are at work. She can get cozy in her crate with her blanket and can come out and stretch, walk a few steps, and turn around when she leaves the crate and is still inside the kennel. 90% of the time she is still inside her crate when we go down to let her out when we return home. I was afraid she might potty inside the kennel because of the increased space. It has not been a problem yet. I can post a pic if you would like.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast