ACK!!! Lyme disease
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ACK!!! Lyme disease

Dawn is offline Senior Member

DefaultACK!!! Lyme disease

What a horrible morning.* Bodie was perfectly fine yesterday, but this morning, could not/would not stand up.* I thought at first his whole hind end was paralyzed.* Finally stood him up, and he gingerly followed outside to do his business, then came back inside and laid back down.* *What a terrifying thing.* *Anyhow, took him to the vet and his bloodwork came back positive for Lyme.* *Do I ever feel awful for not vaccinating him -- I was just so wary of the vaccine at the time and I think the deer tick problem in our area is relatively new.* *Well, he's on antibiotics, and hopefully will be better in a few days.

Anyone here whose dog has it?* Would love to hear anyone else's experience, as far as recovery, etc.* * *:-[

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultRe: ACK!!! Lyme disease

I'm sure this was very scary for you and Bodie. Just wanted to say that I hope he is feeling better quickly!

Yes, one of my dogs came down with lyme disease at about 7 years old. Treated with antibiotics, she wound up being fine. She had her lyme shot before that but they don't always work unfortunately. She started limping on her front leg one week then another the next week. She was very lethargic too. Took her in and it was Lyme. Unfortunately the vet told me that the Lyme disease would be in her system for the rest of her life but the symptoms wouldn't show anymore. She has since passed on but for the remainder of her life (5 yrs.) she never had any other occurances from it after the antibiotics. Nothing major to worry about just finish all the antibiotics and Bodie will be fine. Just stinks to see them like that!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I have never had a dog who has it, but I think the vaccine carries too many risks and from what I understand if you treat Lyme early enough (as it sounds like yo u did) there is a very very high recovery rate.

Oh geez, I'm sorry Dawn. I hope Bodie gets well quickly. I also do not vaccinate and am now worried.

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

I'm sorry Poor Bodie!
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

Hi, both Kody and Goliath have had Lyme and now get the shots for it. The antibotics will do the trick for making him feel better. They will have Lyme in their system, but shouldn't have any adverse effects from it. At least I can say the boys seem 100% all the time. FYI you need to be careful too - Ive gotten bit several times myself and had to do the round of antibotics, like the dogs it still shows up in any bloodwork I have done. :-\

labby is offline Senior Member

I've been treated twice and Remy once. I will not give my dogs the Lyme vaccine. Too many side effects and it doesn't necessarily prevent infection.

Hopefully the meds will take care of it for you.

Laura

Dawn is offline Senior Member

boys mom -- well, it's good to know that yours came through it okay and are now fine. i'll definitely be hoping that for my guy -- it's heartwrenching to see that big old knucklehead unable to walk, when yesterday he was fetching like a maniac out in the yard. I'll keep my fingers crossed that he'll be okay. thanks for your post.

georgie is offline Senior Member

Poor Bodie. He should be fine after the antibiotics are finished. I don't give my dogs the Lyme vaccine, too many risks. I use Frontline Plus & I have a tick comb for when the come in from the fields.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast