re: Park Etiquette - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: re: Park Etiquette

DefaultRe: re: Park Etiquette

I totally agree with your reaction. I have two labs and when I have them both out alone it's a handful! I keep them on line because they too will run up to others or after another animal - they aren't aggressive but want to play. Others don't know this though and I know how I feel when someone's dog comes running at us, it's frightening until you know if this a friend or foe.
    The park authorities can talk with the man and make sure the park rules are being followed and all are safe!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

Donna I'm so sorry that happened to you. Stupid man! I think you handled the situation very well.
    Some ppl just doesn't understand...like around there I live.
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

I agree with the others get his plate and report it.

Try to go at a different time.

And get a can of mace. If the dogs are charging as much as I would hate to do it spray them. Yours are leashed and in control therefore yours are not the agressor. I wouldn't spray them the next time it happens but tell the idiot that you will if it happens again because you should have to be hurt trying to hold your dogs back because he cannot or will not control his.

I always walk with a can of mace because we have tons of pit bulls around here and Cinnamon was lunged at by one on a leash and if the person on the end of the leash hadn't been strong enough to hold it back she would have been hurt. This was a rehab pit bull person and he put the dog down that day as he couldn't trust it. We have walked with him and other dogs he has several times. I had another dog injured by a pit bull attack and have seen the damage they can do to a child first hand so I don't trust them at all.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Oonas Dad
    Bob Pr. said it before I did, can you go at a different time?* Also does the guy go around the same way, the same pattern?* If you walk in the same direction he does maybe the chances of encountering him will lessen.
    Olie
    I am usually in the park a lot earlier than I was when this happened so its not as if I'm going to encounter this guy all the time. What bothers me is that this is the 4th time in 2 months that I have seen him and its always the same. I really am concerned for his dogs. They are sooooo sweet and they are just excited to see people. There is another woman in the park who has a female lab/chow/pit mix. She doesn't like strange dogs either and will do something if another dog gets too close. We managed to have all of them get along after a while but it took time. In fact, I can think of another 3 people who have dogs that aren't friendly with other dogs who go to the park on a regular basis. This guys dogs are still young and don't understand. I would hate to see anything happen to them.

This is the first time I've ever had a problem with anyone at the park, especially a dog person. We all have show courtesy and respect to each other over the years and now this.

I don't think that there is anything wrong with what you did. I think you are right for trying to worn him. If something does happen, despite all of your warnings, he'll probably try to sue you or something, despite your constant warnings. So I think it is very smart to go see the Rangers. He's the one who is the B---H! Good luck with your situation. I hope you never have to see him again!

Thank you all soooo much for your feedback. It has really made me feel better about the situation.

I just got back from the park and I ran into the lady with the lab/chow/pit mix. She said that she has had a problem with this guy a few times too and also went to the rangers. She said she met someone last week who did the same thing. He has a Shepherd and this jerk let his dogs come charging at it and his dog got really upset. He complained as well. No one has gotten his plate number yet but we all agreed to try if we see him in the park again.

So with at least 3 people complaining about the same guy, the rangers should take it pretty seriously. Hopefully we'll get his plate number soon and all will be taken care of. I just still can't understand how this man can be soooooo incredibly rude and irresponsible. He doesnt' deserve to have those beautiful little girls.

Anyway, thanks again for all of your feedback. I'll let you know if anything else happens.

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

So sorry your lovely park has been tarnished by this guy!

CoCo is young and super friendly, but she has not yet developed any doggy manners... I know if she was offleash she would be running full tilt for the first dog she sees ans start jumping all over them... and I would just NEVER risk that! Its rude to other people and dogs, and it could get CoCo hurt. Its common sense, IMO.

Other than in friend/families backyard, I've only ever let CoCo off leash in an enclosed ball field, where she had a blast playing with another young GR, but only after I asked the GR's owner if it was okay.
    ~Jo & CoCo

SamsMom I think you handled it perfectly. Some people are just so clueless.

vicious...puhleaseeee :

Coco's Mom and others with young dogs that are young and don't have their doggy manners yet. Oona used to be this way, she loves dogs and people so much she would run up to them. Until I got her trained not to do this I had her wear a 12 inch tab leash. If I needed to grab her it gave me a chance to get ahold of her more so than her collar alone. The leash was $10 at the pet store.
    Olie

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: mace

I carry with me each morning a cannister of "Guard Alaska Bear Deterrent" This is similar to the mace spray except it is stronger (more irritating), shoots further (25 feet), and has a much larger cannister and thus a much longer duration of spray.

The small mace spray cans that easily fit in a purse or on a key chain (IMO) are as likely to affect you and your dog as any other.

When Puff and I walk in the nature preserve each morning, I wear a "Safari" vest from Cabela's which has multiple pockets and my "Guard Alaska" spray resides in one.

Here's an article that discusses different brands -- "Guard Alaska" was one of 3 recommended among many considered:

http://www.absc.usgs.gov/research/br...epperspray.htm

I presume that if these bear sprays stop grizzlies then they will also be effective on dogs.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast