How to photograph a black dog. Need tips please!

Thread: How to photograph a black dog. Need tips please!

DefaultHow to photograph a black dog. Need tips please!

9/10 of my photos of Emma, she has red eyes, and they just look terrible.

Does anyone have any tips on how to get a better pic? Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kwinon is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: How to photograph a black dog. Need tips please!

I don't use the flash when photographing Ruffy indoors; try to get as much natural light on him as possible.* My sig pic was taken at night, so it suffers some in detail.

There are some very talented photographers who will give you more specific tips.

And we always want to see Emma; we know she doesn't really have red eyes . . .*

labby is offline Senior Member

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

It is tough, especially if you are using a point and shoot digital camera.* I use a digital slr, which helps if you know a bit about photography.

The problem as you know is that dog is much darker than everything else in the frame.* Which means, if you expose your shot off the dog, you will be fooling you camera to think that everything in the frame is really dark.* When you take the picture, you end up with the dog exposed right, but everything else in the picture super bright (over exposed).* What happened was the camera thought it needed to use a slower shutter speed because it thought the frame was dark.* The fast shutter speed was right for the dog, but not even close for everything else.

So, what can you do.* Well, you need to either use Manual mode if you have one, or you need to look up how to lock the exposure on your camera.* What you can do is aim the camera somewhere next to the dog.* In these examples, I first aimed the camera on the grass right next to the dog and then locked the exposure by holding down a button on my camera.* Then I composed my picture the way I wanted it and took the picture.

Also, some/most digital cameras allow you to choose your exposure meter.* My camera has ESP, AVG, SPOT.* ESP takes the whole frame into acct when it decides what speed and aperture your camera will use (but the black dog will still throw this off), AVG will take into acct a set percentage of the frame around the the center, and spot will only take into acct the exact spot your camera is pointed at.

In this situation, I would recommend the AVG.* I would point near the dog, but not on something really bright, lock the exposure, re frame the shot and shoot and then look at the result, you may need to redo it and lock the exposure off of something just a little different.

All the shots here were exposed off the grass, usually the shaded grass.* These were taken today

http://www.okee.smugmug.com/gallery/1874731

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

Great pictures.... thanks! I was needing some help myself!! ;D
    I have a canon rebel xt and haven't learned all the ins and outs myself yet. :-[
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

Thanks!

As for redeye, your original question - there is not much you can do about it, but accept it and take it out using the software that came with your camera.

If you have a hot shoe and can attach a flash, that would pretty much solve the issue. The reason red-eye happens is that the flash is too close to the lens. If you use an external attached flash, the flash would be far enough from the lens that you will rarely get red-eye.

Long story short, unless you have s dlsr or a high end digicam with a hotshoe - you'll have to live with it - but it is pretty easy to take it out after the fact. Many cameras do have red eye reductiob built in and that can help - check you manual.

AbbyandMolly is offline Senior Member

I get my best Molly pictures outside!
    *Stacey*
    ~Abby, Molly, and Penny (the honorary lab)

WigWag Guest

Key is LOTS of light. I use my flash all the time even outside.