Is this ok?

Thread: Is this ok?

DefaultIs this ok?

My puppy (2 months old) doesn't like to go out of the flat and is always pulling back while I try to take him out of the building to the park. When he finishes his job in the park he starts to pull back again towards the house. Is this normal? I've never had a dog who doesn't like to get out to the park. Should I push him to walk or leave him lead to the house?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Is this ok?

Aww...that pup is so cute. Cookie is so small, I would just let her? set her own pace and take things slow. You want this to be a real positive time for the 2 of you.

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

First of all he's such a cutie-pie!

I think he needs to get use to be outside. Start with only take him out outside your apartment and walk a little longer each time. Eventually he will get use to everything around him. He's only 2 months and he has much to get use to, many things he didn't saw then he was inside with his mom and siblings. It's a scary world for a little pup. I guess you just brought him home?
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Yes, I did, I have him 6 days, and in the beginning we walked all around the park. Now that he has an exact place to "do his job" he just pushes me back when he finishes. Dunno.

Lab Dad is offline Senior Member

Who is the pack leader? Who makes the decisions?

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

I think he get use to it eventually! I know he will! Take treats with you and reward him to follow you. LOTS of, Lots of rewards: like "good boy Cookie"! And give him a small treat. And be careful so you not pity him if you feel sorry for him, because then he might be even more scared... Be positive and take it easy, don't push him, and eventually he will be more brave! He's still so small so he doesn't has the energy for long walks.
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I forget where I read it but it said that puppies often don't want to leave the area that they are comfortable in, so to get them used to walking and the leash, it's sometimes easier to pick them up and walk them a few blocks away, and then walk home. Going home is much more interesting than leaving! It worked really well with Grace.

During our vacation this summer, Callie stayed with my mother (Callie was about 3 months at the time I think). On the first day, she wouldn't leave the driveway without coaxing; on the second they got to the end of the street (only a few feet). Every day, Callie ventured a bit further before turning for mom's house. I think your puppy just needs a little time....my mom would insist on a few steps more before allowing Callie to turn for home. Perhaps that will work with your pup as well. (We didn't have that issue at home because she was following her two big brothers there!)