Do you know where the nearest emergency vet is?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you know where the nearest emergency vet is?

DefaultDo you know where the nearest emergency vet is?

I sure didn't. I thought my vet office was on call 24/7. They used to be, I know I've called in the past and had my vet get right back to me. But that policy has changed, apparently.

Tucker got into mouse poison last night and while we don't think he ingested any, I whisked him off to the emerg vet, but it took me about 15minutes of searching online and calling our vet office to find one. And there isn't one in our city, apparently. Unless they rotate weekends?? I'm still not sure.

Anyways, Tucker is ok. We have a bit of research to do today and call the er vet back. She can call the Animal Poison Control for free, where as I would have to pay $65.

I never thought we'd have to use an ER vet with him, so I never had any info on them in our area. But I do now!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AbbyandMolly is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Do you know where the nearest emergency vet is?

Yup! I sure do...wrote the number down the morning Molly got her head stuck in that treat contanier lol. Our vet is on call 24/7 as welll, if you call the answering service picks up and they notify somebody to meet you there for a fee of $80

Good to know that Tucker is ok
    *Stacey*
    ~Abby, Molly, and Penny (the honorary lab)

I'm glad Tucker is ok. How scary. I do know where my emergency vet is. Unfortunately, I have had to go there more than once. I also have access to another 24 hour vet hospital that we take the rescue labs to.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Glad Tucker is ok. I know what a scary feeling it is when you think they may have eaten something that will harm them.

My vet sends you a list of emergency vet clinic with the welcome to our pratice letter. They also include them in the newsletters they send on twice a year.

As an fyi I learned this week that most human posion controls have some animal info also. They can at least tell you what the symptons to watch for are and whether to induce vomitting. I called the one ran by the hospital system I worked for when I thought Cinnamon might have eaten 2 percocets as the ASPCA posion center was charging $50 up front and I didn't want to stop and find my credit card. I had already induced vomitting because I knew they weren't acid bases and so wouldn't do any harm coming up and I caught her as soon as she got into them so they had had time to be digested. I was just wondering how much tylenol was in them. It turned out not to be enough to harm her.

Also discovered that Cinnamon will lap up the peroxide if mixed with Dr Pepper instead of having to pour it down her throat when mixed with water.

lablover is offline Senior Member

The way it works in our town: You call your own vet and there will be a message as to which vet is on call for that time, and what phone number to call. (The vets in town will rotate as to who is on duty.) You would them call them and they will tell you where to meet them at. If they feel it is a REAL emergency they will then send you to a different town that is about an hour away.

Edited to say ... Gklad Tucker is OK!

wow - scary!! glad that everything is ok! i do know where 2 are in my area - unforunately 1 was due to a few visits there. we were actually referred by our vet to go there when jackson got an intestinal blockage. accidents do happen, so it's always good to know where they are!!!

labby is offline Senior Member

Yes unfortunately I do. I have them on speed dial.

Laura

RangerMom is offline Senior Member

Yes I know where 3 different emergency vets are. I learned the hard way.

Blackie and Ranger ...............................Reggie: 1996-2010 "Fly Reggie Fly"

I carry the phone numbers of the 2 closest/best places in my wallet

Yes, unfortuantely, I've had to use them before. Glad your baby is okay!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast