Not sure I did the right thing...

Thread: Not sure I did the right thing...

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

DefaultNot sure I did the right thing...

I think I just wimped out. I had taken Tal out to potty after he woke then I was going to put him down for the night. When I put him in his crate he started to whine and I just ignored him. Well it was different somehow…so I got him out and put his collar and leash on. He got mad seems like…I wouldn’t say he growled but he did let me know he wasn’t happy. I said in a loud sharp voice STOP! And he did…I finally took him outside…I forgot to mention that he calmed down a bit when I picked him up. Anyway, when I took him out he had to wee really bad. And while we were out I walked him around the yard to try and tire him out. He’s in his crate now gnawing on one of my old T-shirts I have in there with him and he seems to be settling down. It finally dawned on me that I usually play with him a bit around that time so maybe he was upset we didn’t get play time…I actually just forgot..it wasn't deliberate. I guess I wish I knew if he was just pushing my button or if I misread his signal somehow…

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Not sure I did the right thing...

first, i doubt that your pup growled at you. it was most likely a groan or burp, and if it was indeed a growl, maybe your pup was momentarily scared or in some kind of discomfort/pain.
    second, i truely believe that dogs do not behave out of spite, revenge, or hold grudges.

i highly recommend that you read The Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson in order to get a better understanding of dog behavior and how best we can train them in order to do with we humans want them to do when we are faced with situations we dislike, where in cases dogs are simply acting like dogs.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

What crystal said.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by crystal
    first, i doubt that your pup growled at you.* it was most likely a groan or burp, and if it was indeed a growl, maybe your pup was momentarily scared or in some kind of discomfort/pain.
    second, i truely believe that dogs do not behave out of spite, revenge, or hold grudges.

i highly recommend that you read The Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson in order to get a better understanding of dog behavior and how best we can train them in order to do with we humans want them to do when we are faced with situations we dislike, where in cases dogs are simply acting like dogs.
    Thanks..I agree I don't think it was a growl either but that was the closest thing I could think of. And I know he didn't do anything out of spite or anything...I was frustrtated because I couldn't figure out how to help help him. Plus I still had his leash on him inside which there is no need for. I leave his collar on when I can watch him but never have his leash on in the house. That may have been it more than anything because he couldn't freely go get his drink like he always does. Now that I think about it that may have been it..

Once he got his drink he was fine tho. The only reason I think it might have been more discomfort than fear is because there wasn't anything that occured...

I'll check into the book...I read Patricia McConnell's book and that has helped as well as a couple of others I have read. One thing I am enjoying is learning to read him properly and trying to be consistent with my communication with him..we're gettin there...just takes time. Thanks...I don't know what I would do without this board..