Need advice: mom's lab might have mouth cancer

Thread: Need advice: mom's lab might have mouth cancer

bibber is offline Senior Member

DefaultNeed advice: mom's lab might have mouth cancer

My mom was walking her dog Abby (GR/LR mix, will be 13 in Nov.) today, and noticed Abby's mouth was bleeding. Mom took her to the emergency vet who said she might have an abcess. But when my mom got Abby home, she sat her on the couch and had a good look in her mouth, and mom says it's not an abcess. There are two grape sized lumps next to each other on Abby's gums; one is rock hard and one is red and spongy. Monday they will go to their regular vet, and my mom will have them removed.

I have two questions:
    1. For anyone who has seen mouth or gum cancer, what does it look like?
    2. Abby is absolutely everything to my mom. My mom prefers Abby to any person, probably even me and my brother. She is going to be beside herself if something is wrong with Abby. I think she expects Abby to live another 10 years. I've never lost a dog, and I don't know how to console someone who has a very sick dog. What is the right thing to say to her?

Brenda, Sam & Bodie

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Mybabymambo Guest

DefaultRe: Need advice: mom's lab might have mouth cancer

I cant give any answers, Just wanted to say I hope everything is ok..Sending good thought to abby and your mom. :-*

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Just be there for her. If you or someone could go to the vet with her, it would make the waiting room time go a lot easier for her, and she could use someone to drive while she tends to Abby. Prayers for your mom and Abby's recovery.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

I agree...just being there is the best thing you can do. I'll keep your mom and Abby in my prayers. Keep us posted.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

There isn't anything you can say that is going to take away your Mom's grief if Abby is very ill. I agree that just being available to your Mom is going to mean alot to her.
    I am hoping Abby is going to be okay.

My older girl had oral cancer at age 9.* It appeared as a grape size lump behind her canine tooth that bleed profusely.* I discovered the mass when I woke up in the morning and the bed had lots of blood on it form her mouth.* I took her to my vet and she thought it might be an epulis (nonmalignant growth but needs removal).* Due to it's location she reffered me to a board certified small animal surgeon.* I had a consult with that vet and it was agreed the mass needed to be removed but she alos thought it was an epulis.* My girl ended up having her canine toothe and a portion of her upper jaw removed.* She came thourgh the surgery great and expect for the symmetry of her muzzle being off you can't tell she had part of her jaw removed.* The biopsy turned out to be a plasmacytoma; very rare in the mouth; go figure my luck.* The good news is it doesn't spread through the body.* We just have to check for regrowth.* My girl is almost 11 and doing great!*

Just be there for your mom and make sure to get more than one opinion,

Sandy

Linda1 is offline Senior Member

Sending good thoughts and prayers.

Brookville, Pa.

sending good thoughts and prayers or a good outcome

Mel
    Mel is offline Senior Member

Prayers for your Mom and Abby.