First Time Potty on Leash

Thread: First Time Potty on Leash

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

DefaultFirst Time Potty on Leash

I had put Tal's collar on with the Sally Tag and it was funny watching him trying to get to the tag to chew it..that was a sight. I was waiting for him to need to potty and I was going to attach the leash. Well, the little guy has alot of spunk! Not surprisingly he tried to chew the lease, especially at the metal part. I took him where he wees. I gave him just enough slack to I could hold the leash and he would be no more that a foot or so away from me. Man did he put up a fight. If I'd have had a video of it it would wear you out. I just stood there and let him fight and didn't budge. He would try and run away and of course come back. Didn't chole him much as best I could tell.

This went on for at least 10 minutes...little guy was giving everything he had. After a bit I decided to bring him back ion. Put him in his crate..he had not gone yet. He started with his I need to potty cry so I got the leash, put it back on and took him out with the same amount of slack. Fought again, but not as hard. Fiunally weed. I knew he would need to do his business so as he calmed a bit I took him to where he likes to go. He finally went. Still put up a fight and I tried to praise him but he didn't seem to want any..just out of that contraption..lol. I praised him anyway for going to his business.

I put him back in his crate, he whined a bit because of the collar I think but he is now sound asleep. I think it literally wore him out. Little dude has alot of fight in him...gotta direct that energy properly...also like the character Tal for whom he is named..

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

CJs Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: First Time Potty on Leash

CJ didn't care much for his leash at first either, but like a child in a car seat, he quickly learned that some things are not negotiable...

BTW - I love all the animals on JL, but Tal is either extra cute, extra photogenic, or a little of both. I LOVE looking at his photos!!!!!!!
    Laura & CJ in New Hampshire

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

Sounds exactly like Zoe when she was a puppy. Glad she grew out of that stage. She chewed 2 or 3 leashes. :
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by zoesmom
    Sounds exactly like Zoe when she was a puppy.* Glad she grew out of that stage.* She chewed 2 or 3 leashes.* :
    haha...Well I got this one at Petco. They had some they were discontinuing and I paid only $10 for both the leash and collar. Looks pretty good too. It also has little reflectorized doggie bones. It should do him (the collar) for a month if he doesn't chew it in half first..lol

Cj'smom...thanks for the compliment. I agree the leash isn't negotible..especially now that he is getting more familiar with the layout and me. Living where I do there's no fenced yeard so I guess I am extra vigilent.
    I figured potty time is a good time to show him theleash isn't negotible and the sooner he is calm the sooner he can go potty. Of course when I came back in and put him in his crate he plopped around in his crate and gave me the pouty look...then finally dropped off to sleep..I just ignored him.