Vet visit....some questions a little long UPDATED

Thread: Vet visit....some questions a little long UPDATED

DefaultVet visit....some questions a little long UPDATED

We took Jake to the vet today for his shots and to start heartworm prevention. Jake was a very good boy, he won the hearts of the vet and her assistant, although he refused to eat the healthy treat they gave him (lol) He only let out a little wimper when they gave him his shot and drew blood for the heartworm test. My first question is what causes heartworm? And Jake is an inside dog and I was wondering if heartworm prevention was necessary. Just wondering I did go ahead and buy the medicine I just don't know alot about heartworms. My second question is my vet asked me if I wanted to have Jake neutered. I told her no because we would like to mate him if we can ever find a female. She said that after we are done mating him we should have him neutered to cut down the risk of testicular cancer. Is testicular cancer common in Labs? I really hate to put Jake through a surgery especially if it is not common. Anyone have any advice? Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dogmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Vet visit....some questions a little long

Ok, I'll bite.

If you are in an area that has heartworms (apparently you are or the Vet would not have recommended heartworm preventative) it is very important to have them on preventative medication. Heartworms are passed into the dog by a mosquito bite. I don't know about you but mosquitos have been in my house, so the argument that he is rarely outside doesn't hold water. The medication is not expensive when you factor in the cost of heartworm treatment and the health problems caused by heartworm.

As to the other "issue". I am surprised you are considering breeding a rescue dog and even more surprised that the rescue group/shelter allowed an unaltered dog to be adopted. ALL dogs/cats adopted from any of our local shelters MUST be altered prior to adoption. And if this dog was not a rescue, the reason NOT to breed him FAR FAR FAR outweigh any possible reason to breed if he has not been proven in the show ring, obedience ring, agility,etc. after having all of the appropriate health testing. And your Vet is correct, neutering will prevent certain types of cancer as well as some unwanted behaviors that SOME dogs exhibit. Breeding should only be done by those with the experience and knowledge to assertain if the dog SHOULD be bred. There are many thousand of Labs dying in shelters every day because of people who shouldn't be breeding that ARE breeding. Please consider neutering.

Ditto what dogmom said.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Lab Dad is offline Senior Member

Jakes Mommy wrote:

My first question is what causes heartworm?

My second question is my vet asked me if I wanted to have Jake neutered.* I told her no because we would like to mate him if we can ever find a female.* She said that after we are done mating him we should have him neutered to cut down the risk of testicular cancer. Is testicular cancer common in Labs? Anyone have any advice? Thanks
    In a previous post Jakes Mommy wrote:
    Jake was full grown when we got him from our local shelter.
    * About half down the article.

Most shelters and rescue organizations spay/neuter prior to placing an animal up for adoption or request the animal be altered.* We sprang Jack off death row from an Animal Control facility in Ohio.* They suggested we alter Jack, something we were going to do anyway.

Jake is a rescue. Unless he was an owner surrender and you have his AKC registration and permission from his breeder, have shown in conformation and won or have won hunt trials I strongly believe he should be altered and the sooner the better.* Yes Jake is a great Lab to you and is really neat but there are many, many Jakes out in the world all looking for homes because somebody just wanted one litter or worse, thought they could make some money off their dog and it didn't work out.* Breeding should be done to further the breed by dogs that have conformed to what the breed standard is, and selectively breed in an attempt to avoid the many genetic faults born by the breed.

Get Jake snipped.* He will be a better and healthier dog for it.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Absolutely, you need the heartworm medicine. No question.

Please do neuter him. Yes, you will reduce his chances of testicular cancer. You will also know that you have done the right thing by not adding another litter to the problem of pet overpopulation.

So many puppies out there. So many being euthanized in shelters every day, only for lack of a good home. Why add to these statistics? :'( Even if your puppies all did find homes, there goes half a dozen to a dozen available homes for those puppies who are already here.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Thanks for the advice. I did buy the heartworm prevention and plan to continue it it is not the cost I was just wondering what caused them. Jake is not neutered we got him from the local dog pound and they don't neuter or spay dogs before they adopt them out. They don't even give them shots or wormer or anything. The only thing they give the you when you leave is a coupon for ten percent off your vet bill when you take them for their first visit. They did not even ask me any questions all I had to do was sign a paper and that was it. Jake and I were in the car and heading home.

Quote Originally Posted by dogmom
    There are many thousand of Labs dying in shelters every day because of people who shouldn't be breeding that ARE breeding.*
    I didn't think of this. Please don't think I am a bad person. Oh, I just feel really bad for not thinking of it this way. :'( I would never want to put a dog in that kind of situation. And I will not do anything to cause an animal to be put in a bad situation. I just didn't think of it that way. That is just stupidity on my part. I love Jake and plan on doing what is best for his health and whatever will keep him with us for a long long time. Thank you for your advice and insight.

DefaultRe: Vet visit....some questions a little long UPDATED

We don't think you are a bad person; just trying to make sure people understand that only quallified breeders need to be breeding any type of dogs where they have the proper temperament and health clearances. Get that sweet boy neutered and he will make you a best friend for life. Neutered males make the best pets of all! And thank you for saving his life!!

Lab Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Vet visit....some questions a little long UPDATED

You are a good person for pulling a dog out of a shelter and giving him a forever home. When you get a good dog you want the feeling to last forever, and breeding seems like a good idea at the time. It really isn't, and it is something that is really complicated. For a rescue with unknown origins and pedigree, altering is the best route to follow.

Heartworm is preventable and it is important to follow the Vet's instructions. Being in a milder climate, we keep ours on preventative year round.