I purchased a doggie Kong

Thread: I purchased a doggie Kong

wiscpayton is offline Senior Member

DefaultI purchased a doggie Kong

After reading how so many of you leave stuffed Kongs for your fur babies when you are away, I went out and purchased one.* *6 month old Payton is really being left alone now for extended periods for the first time while we are at work.* My husband is a teacher and he was around for her all summer, and when we* got her in May, he would run home on lunch.* Now we have her crate sitting inside a built kennel in the basement.* She can come out and stretch, etc.* So far, so good. How do you stuff the kongs and with what?* She only eats dog food or doggie biscuits.* ( unless she counter surfs :* )* * Should we try a "special" treat inside it?* My main goal is to give her something to occupy her day a little while we are gone :-*
    Thanks, Vivian

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: I purchased a doggie Kong

If you googld "kong recipes" you will come up with tons of stuff.

I mix mashed bananas and plain yogurt together.
    Plug the small end with Peanut Butter
    Fill the kong with banana/yogurt mixture
    Seal with peanut butter

Then I like the door of the freezer with saran wrap (or a napkin or wax paper.. whatever)... then put the kong standing on it's small end in the door and freeze.
    ~Lindsay

I sometimes stuff Sam's with biggish pieces of dog cookies so that he had to work to try to get them out. Some people use cheese cubes, carrots, whatever your dog likes.
    For a while when it was hot i would freeze beef froth in it and then he had a big icy beef brothy thing to work on, at least till it melted.

Frances

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Lexis Mom is offline Senior Member

I stuff Lexi's kong with peanut butter & freeze it. Takes her a good bit of time to get it all out, but lordy does she have fun trying to get every last morsel out. :

My pretty girl, Lexi!

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

There are so many things you can put in it. The Kong website has a ton of recipes. I mash up bananas with plain yogurt and seal the ends with peanut butter then freeze it. I did start giving them to Brigetta on the weekend first because she has a sensitive stomach and I wasn't sure how she would do with the banana and yogurt. I rotate between the Kong and her Busy Buddy http://www.busybuddytoys.com/ .The Busy Buddy has little prongs at the opening so you can put kibble in it and your dog has to bounce it around for it to come out.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

Katy Guest

My boys kongs are filled with canned pumpkin (pure pumpkin , not the pie mix). It gives them a bit of extra fiber and they like the taste. I freeze them so they last longer.