For those with 2 dogs

Thread: For those with 2 dogs

DefaultFor those with 2 dogs

We had Bear for almost 3 years now and she has been the only dog, therefor as you can imagine she has been pretty spoiled.* We had rules at the beginning:* No begging, No feeding her from the table (to enforce the 1st rule), no sleeping on the bed; well I think that's all because it was mostly my hubby that implemented the rules.* Little by little we bended the rules and now she can lay down next to the table when we are eating and every now and then we feed her a little of what we are eating (only if extra yummy and safe for her), she sleeps on our bed just as if it would be her own... The worse came today when my hubby fed her from his breakfast at the bed ;D* Well he says he cant resist her eyes and cute face.

Anyhow, we are bringing Bunny home in October and I wonder, How have you handled the rules for the second dog when like in this case the first one has already broken or make disappear most of them.* I am sure I will keep the no begging at the table or feeding from the table as long as possible.* But I'm concerned about the one about not sleeping on the bed...* Do you recommend that I enforce the rule until certain age or just let her sleep on the bed right away...

Edited: I just want the other puppy to feel as part of the family, but I dont know if slacking on the rules too early will make her think she can do anything she wants. Bear is an amazingly well behaved dog, but it took lots of work and applying the rules. She could only get on the bed with her dad permission when she was about 1 1/2 years old and sleeps on it whenever she wants at 2 years old.

I've never had 2 dogs and I am so nervous about how to handle the situation.* Please help me out on this ??? ???

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

modgirlreporter Guest

DefaultRe: For those with 2 dogs

The truth is, we don't really HAVE any rules. We feed them tidbits from our plates and they're allowed on any furniture they want, though we discourage Gigi from getting on the bed because she's too excitable (she gets on it whenever she wants when we're not here) and we'd like to have SOMETHING that's just ours. George was an only for a long time before Gigi came and he's very well-behaved (I wouldn't have said that before Gigi came, either! : ) and we didn't really have to worry about him too much. Now that The Gallumph is around, we are trying to teach her some manners that don't apply to George for reasons of her size and personality. She has to sit to have the lead put on when she's going out because she tends to bolt out the door at full speed if you don't make her sit first. We have to make sure she plays nice with George and doesn't run roughshod over him because she's lots bigger than he is. She sits on the couch behind me when I'm eating in front of the TV but she won't snatch food off the plate if you tell her to "lay down and behave" whereas George knew he was going to get his share if he would just wait patiently so you didn't have to tell him to behave. I really don't think in general you can expect the new pup to follow rules you don't make the older dog follow because consistency is all that works with dogs.

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Please don't be nervous about how to handle Bunny. Bear is such a great dog and Bunny will be too. You don't know what Bunny's personality will be like, but it is likely that she will pick up on Bear's routine and behavior and go along with what Bear is doing. If you broke the rules for Bear, you know you will for Bunny too.
    I always treated mine the same from day one - they sleep in bed, they eat together, go outside together, etc.
    I'll bet you can hardly wait until October.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mitziandjudysmom
    Please don't be nervous about how to handle Bunny.* Bear is such a great dog and Bunny will be too.* You don't know what Bunny's personality will be like, but it is likely that she will pick up on Bear's routine and behavior and go along with what Bear is doing.* If you broke the rules for Bear, you know you will for Bunny too.
    I always treated mine the same from day one - they sleep in bed, they eat together, go outside together, etc.*
    I'll bet you can hardly wait until October.
    I agree. Prudence is 10 years old and I adopted Brigetta in May. I never had any rules or training for Prudence (she's a little dachshund mix). When Brigetta came home I was concerned because she was only 14 weeks and she needed to be trained. Well, she did everything Prudence did...both good and bad . Prudence is allowed to sleep on the bed and as soon Brigetta was housebroken I let her start sleeping on the bed instead of her crate as well. I also feed them together and walk them together (I do have to bring Pru home early though b/c of health issues). I can't wait to see Bunny!

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

Well, I can't wait to October so we bring her home. But I think in about 2 to 3 weeks we will know which one is our Bunny, here is the link to the puppies http://www.brassbrigade.com/currentlitter.html if you move it a little lower you will see the other litter as well.

This was one of my bigger concerns, I already know it is not going to be easy on Bear. Reason why we decided on taking her all the way to USA from Costa Rica (Centralamerica) to pick up her sister; I was/am so afraid of having her flying that considered leaving her with a friend but my husband mentioned that if both of us go away for a week and then come back with a puppy she is supposed to live with, it might take her more time accepting her sister.

Thank you all for the advice, I know this will not be as easy -I think- because I will have to "train" Bear to the idea of a sister and also start from zero again with Bunny. But I'm sure it will be all worth it.

We are already looking into getting a bigger bed, because the 3 of us hardly fit in the full size bed and I can't imagine how it is going to be 2 humans and 2 "medium" size dogs.

georgie is offline Senior Member

You & Bear will be fine. We brought Abby home this past March & Molly was just a little over 3 years old. We had Abby in her crate at first. SU slept on the sofa in the family room with her. Once she was a bit older (few months) she was allowed in bed with us. Molly is such a gentle soul & Abby nipped at her & just tortured her at times. But we started from day 1 to enforce rules, such as sitting at the door before they go out & Molly went first. Mealtime they have to wait till I give the "okay" command.
    They get along wonderful & are good buddies. We really have not had any problems.
    Good luck. It will be fine.