Just Labradors banner

Hampton Roads, VA peeps - Dock Dogs is coming.

972 views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  imported_Dawn and Bear 
#1 ·
Chesapeake is holding their annual "Bark in the Park" the first weekend in October. While this event is pretty small, this year they are having Dock Dogs there. I just thought I'd inform anyone that might be interested in the sport to come out and give it a try.

#2 ·
I just saw where your from. I having been reading your newspaper online. My cousin was Paul Darga that was recently killed in Iraq and your paper was the only source of information we had:(

#6 ·
I am certainly going to try to be there, I didn't go last year but my neighbor did and had a great time!

#8 ·
http://www.chesapeake.va.us/thisweek/calendar.shtml

September 29 - October 1
DockDogs® National Sportsmens Series Competition
DockDogs® is making a stop at Chesapeake City Park as part of their National Sportsmens Series Tour! DockDogs® Big Air competition features K-9s leaping off of a 40 ft dock into a 50 ft pool of water. They will also hold an Extreme Vertical competition which consists of up to 20 dogs jumping for height. The competitions are open to all dogs. This event is coordinated & sanctioned by DockDogs® & sponsored by the Chesapeake Parks & Recreation Department & the Chesapeake Humane Society.
[More Information]
Time: TBA
FMI: (757) 382-8466

October 1, 2006
Bark In the Park
Bring your canine out to City Park for a dog-gone good time. Games, contests, demonstrations and more! Sponsored by Parks and Recreation and Chesapeake Humane Society.
Time: 12:00-5:00pm
FMI: (757) 382-6411

http://www.chesapeakehumane.org/dock_dogs.html

DockDogs® is making a stop at Chesapeake City Park September 29 - October 1, 2006 as part of their National Sportsmen's Series Tour! DockDogs® Big Air competition features K-9's leaping off of a 40' dock into a 50 ft. pool of water. The jumps are electronically judged and ranked under predetermined guidelines. Preliminary competitions "Waves" will be held on Friday, Saturday and Sunday and the weekend's Finals will be held Sunday afternoon in conjunction with the popular Bark in the Park.

Bark in the Park, co-sponsored by The Chesapeake Humane Society and the Chesapeake Parks and Recreation Department, provides a day of fun and awareness for pet lovers and Tidewater area animal rescue/welfare groups and shelters whose goals are to help companion animals in Tidewater. It will be held Sunday October 1, 2006, 12-5 pm at Chesapeake City Park, 500 Greenbrier Parkway.
DockDogs® will also be holding an Extreme Vertical competition which consists of up to 20 dogs jumping for height. The dogs will be jumping after a designated retrievable that is suspended 8' out from the edge of the dock over the water. A starting height will be determined onsite and will move up in 2" increments after the dogs either "knock down" or "grab" the retrievable or "pass". This is an elimination competition in which the top 6 dogs from the preliminary round will move on to the Finals on Sunday to determine the 1st place team.
The competitions are open to all dogs. This event is coordinated and sanctioned by DockDogs® and sponsored by the Chesapeake Parks and Recreation Department and the Chesapeake Humane Society. This event is free for spectators. For registration and general information visit www.dockdogs.com or e-mail your questions to info@dockdogs.com

#10 ·
Hey everyone,

Well, after spending the weekend at Lake Gaston, I know Bear will NOT be participating in the Dock Dog competition. The silly boy wouldn't even jump off the end of the dock at the lake. He sat there and barked up a storm trying to figure out how in the world he was going to get off the dock and into to the water to get the fish he could see, it was hilarious.

#11 ·
Dawn,

Is this park close to the interstate(95 or 64)? We'll be heading back from the OBX that day. Wish it started earlier, I'd love to see it. And by the way, of course Bear doesn't jump-he's a diver!!!! Maybe he can give Manny some diving lessons in a couple of weeks. Can't wait to see you guys!! John bought Manny a new and improved Chucker, and 2 new bumpers. We're all set for the beach.

#12 ·
Cheri,

If you are coming from the OBX down 168, you would want to take the Kempsville Road exit (that is the exit after you go over the Intercoastal). I would say it's 3 miles, if that away from 168.

Bear was a big goof at the lake. You are right, he is definitely not a jumper. We threw his bumper from the end of the dock and he ran all the way back to the yard and got in the water there and then went and got his bumper. We can't wait to see you guys either!!! ;D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.