Home cleaning Agents causing problems?

Thread: Home cleaning Agents causing problems?

DefaultHome cleaning Agents causing problems?

Just wondering if anyone has had any issues with certain home cleaning agents and adverse, seizure type reactions with their lab. My wife and I just recently had a cleaning service come into home twice over the last two weeks. Either the day of or day after, our 2 year old black lab had what appeared to be a mild seizure where his head had mild convulsions for about 10 seconds. This is the first time we've witnessed this, and it seems simply too coincidental. We're calling the cleaning crew tomorrow morning, visiting with a vet, and going to the local pet store to see if they've heard of anything similar. Any insight would be greatly appreciated, and better yet, cleaning solutions for hardwood floors you know to be dog friendly.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Home cleaning Agents causing problems?

My dog has sneezed before if I used a spray air freshener, and sneezes if he's around hair spray being sprayed. I've never had an experience like you describe, so don't have anything to share or advice to give.

It does sound too coincidental...I hope you can figure it out.

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Good luck...have no advice but I'll be interested to know what you find...

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Lots of urban myths about Swiffer Jet (from Procter & Gamble) out there but they seem mostly bogus. I'll definitely post any interesting findings.

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Interesting...I have the clorox product...and have had no problems with it at all. Also have the swiffer rechargeable vacuum and dusters...never had any problems with them. When I clean I keep Tal in his crate and wait until floors dry...which takes about 2 seconds! lol

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

I have no advice either, but this is terribly creepy! I hope you find what is causing the problem. Maybe your vet can shed some light.

I've gotten a little paranoid about cleaning products, and will only let Kevin use water to clean the floors. (Hubby is floor man around here). We have the Swiffer, but we just put water in the spray bottle.

BTW, where in TN?

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Nashville...just moved up about 6 months ago from Austin, TX...a great dog town for off leash parks and swimming holes, but the heat was brutal on Farley. He's enjoying Nashville much better.

M&C
    M&C is offline Member

I hope you can figure out whats going on. We just had wood floors put in in my dining room and I was a bit concerned about the cleaning products also. I searched on-line and found a homemade recipe that works way better than any of the store bought ones.
    It's 1/3 white vinegar 1/3 rubbing alcohol 1/3 water and 3 drops of dish soap. I mixed it all together in a clean spray bottle.