Tuesday night Cinnamon slipped into mom's room at 11:30pm and grabbed her bottle of percocet and managed to pop the top off sending pills everywhere. When I picked them up I could only find 13 and the bottle had contained 40. We could account for at least 7 mom had taken since her surgery last Thursday. After I got Cinnamon out of the room and started pouring peroxide and water down her throat mom found another 18 but that still left me 2 short. Mom couldn't remember exactly how many she had taken so it was possible she had eaten one or two so I continue with the peroxide. So she finally vomits no pills in solid form but with all the white foam I couldn't tell if she had eaten any.
Call the emergency vet to find out if she had gotten 2 if it would be a problem. They won't answer questions you have to bring them in. Called the ASPCA poison control they won't even let you ask a question unless you pay $50 on credit card up front. So off i go to find credit card. There web site says for the $50 fee they will research as much as necessary making as many calls and call backs to you and your vet. It wasn't like I was asking them to research anything I knew they would have info on a common drug like that at hand. Now I donate to the ASPCA on a regular bases so having to pay $50 to find out if even a small amount of percocet was harmful really ticked me off. Why is it every one feels like they have to make a buck off you during a crisis?
On my way to find my purse I decided to call Banner Poison Control explain I was an employee and ask if they knew how much a 70 pound dog could ingest before it caused harm. Cindy could tell me all the symptoms to watch out for but didn't have a chart showing amount vs weight so she decided to call ASPCA and see if they would tell her as a professional courtesy which they did. She timed it from the time they answered the phone to the time she hung up was 47 seconds. She would have had to have a minimum of 5 before causing harm so their advise was just watch her and if she started to vomit or I couldn't wake her take her to the emergency vet.
So I stayed up for 2 hours and as she was fine I went back to bed and set alarm for every hour. After the third time the alarm woke her up she got off the bed and went to sleep in her crate as she didn't appreciate my disturbing her. Needless to say the medicines are no longer on the nightstand.
What a scare! Glad she's okay.
It's very disturbing that you would have had to pay $50 for poison advice. Sheesh.
Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
Scary stuff.........I'm glad she's OK.
Boy, was that scary! Kinda smile though that you were disturbing her sleep!
That is really scary. I'm glad Cinnamon is ok and that your friend was able to get the info from ASPCA for you!
Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence
so scary...glad she is fine!
Very scary! Smart thinking to call Banner. Glad everything turned out OK.
I worry about this with Riley...I take quite a bit of medication myself and try to keep it out of harms way, but you never know if/how they find their way into things.
What a horrible experience. Glad Cinnamon is okay.
Oh no very scarry, I'm so glad she is ok!
I totally understand how you must have been feeling. About 2 years ago, my husband and I went out to dinner and left Rogie in the hallway.* He got into our bedroom and got a huge bottle of Advil that I'd stupidly left on the nightstand.* When we got home, he had chewed the top off and there was Advil everywhere. The bottle was huge and there was no telling how many he ate. I called the animal*poison hotline, paid the $50 to talk to someone. We tried to make him throw up with hydrogen peroxide, but no go.* Off to ER vet.* They made him throw up and said that there were like 50 plus pills in his stomach (actually, they showed us).* Luckily most were still in solid form.* Rogie spent 2 days in hospital getting charcoal and fluids.* It turned out fine, but I learned a terrible lesson re leaving stuff out where he can get it.* *It was so horrible.*