scared about Rio
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: scared about Rio

Katy Guest

Defaultscared about Rio

He is almost out of HeartGuard so I scheduled him an appointment to checked and to get a refill. The vet said he is overdue for his Ehrlichiosis titer. He was diagnosed with ehrliciosis (tick fever) a year ago. He wasn't showing any signs, it was caught when he got his combo test for heartworm. They gave him meds (something in the "cycline" family) and we thought that was it. He went for a recheck and they said he looked ok.

I didn't know that it was still an issue. He was given meds and I thought "cured." But now they're talking about getting titers rerun every 6 months or so. He seems fine and doesn't have any of the symptoms. I just hate to think of this being a chronic thing. Mike the cat has chronic renal failure and we've already had to process that his life will probably be a short one. I don't want to have to go through his with our Riri too.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: scared about Rio

Maybe they're thinking if he had it once, he could get it again. Hopefully it will come back clean.

Laura

Katy Guest

I just called the vets office again and asked what his latest titers were. They told me he only got one titer check. She said that after he was diagnosed (antibodies detected in the combo test) he was given meds. After the course of the meds his titers taken- they were 1:32 . Does anyone know what that means, level wise? Is that high?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

I don't, sorry.

Laura

georgie is offline Senior Member

I don't know about the titiers but I hope Rio is okay.

Katy Guest

Thanks anyway. I'm getting some conflicting info on it all. I haven't ever found a tick on Rio (and only one on Rory in his whole life of 4 years.) They aren't a problem in my area. I hope the vet is just being cautious.

Katy Guest

BUMP

I don't know if this will help any but when Moby tested positive for Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever the vet said he had 1:25 which was extremely low. She emphasized EXTREMELY

Katy Guest

Bumping thread hoping someone who has ehrliciosis knowledge will see and comment.

Hopefully, it's just for recheck. They do that with heartworm positive dogs after treatment; so hopefully, that's all it is. Please keep us updated!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast