TITERS!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TITERS!

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultTITERS!

I got Simon's titer results today. We are good to go on Parvo and Distemper! Yay!

I am really happy about this! I'm so glad I did it.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: TITERS!

I've always been confused about titers. My Vet said they are not always a reliable way to predict actual immunity. Are you planning to do shots every three years or just continue with titers? I'll have to ask my Vet about this again. I guess I wasn't listening closely enough last time. Glad Simon's were good anyway.

Cool Beans.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Well, as Eric told me the other day, with some things they cannot get a reliable result from the test. So, Simon got Rabies (because you have to) and Coronavirus (because a titer wouldn't be reliable). But he got to skip Distemper and Parvo, because he is still showing a high degree of immunity to those.

So, he'll have to get Rabies and Coronavirus every year, I guess. But I guess I'll just keep titering for the others to check them annually.

I really like the idea of not giving it unless they really need it...

Connie and "The Boys":

ThatsMyGirl Guest

I have a question about Titers. What do you do if you need to board the dogs? or you want to send them to daycare? Do you have some sort of Titer certificate? Please tell me how it works. After Sami completes her 1 year shots, I want to start Titering.

After their first year rabies when they get their 2nd rabies shot it is good for 3 years here. You might want to check before getting Simon one next year .

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsMyGirl
    I have a question about Titers.* What do you do if you need to board the dogs? or you want to send them to daycare?* Do you have some sort of Titer certificate?* Please tell me how it works.* After Sami completes her 1 year shots, I want to start Titering.
    I was wondering the same thing.

ThatsMyGirl...I love your new siggy!

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

Karon, I will ask about that, thank you! Although, I think it's a year here no matter what. But, definitely worth asking!

What they are going to do is send me paperwork on his titers. I guess it's some kind of lab report. Anyway, I know the dog training club accepts titers, as does the home where I board them (with the training director at the club). Not sure if all daycares would...? I would just call them and ask!

Another thing I like about titering is, even if it comes back that they do need the shot, at the very least I have split them up and not given them all in one day.

Connie and "The Boys":

Quote Originally Posted by AngusFangus
    I really like the idea of not giving it unless they really need it...
    Yes, I do too.* I missed reading the other post that you mentioned.* It's interesting that some are reliable and some not.* I didn't know that.*

Edited to add that I too wonder how it would work out in regards to kenneling.* In my area the kennels still require a yearly vaccine.* :-\* I'll have to sort it out before the situation comes up I guess, but I would hope that the word/report of the Vet would be sufficient whether it be for titers or for less frequent vaccinations.* Rabies here has always been once every three years.* Not sure if there is a one year shot and a three year shot. ???

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

The vet I work for does a 3-year rabies vaccine, and follows the 3-year protocol (which has been proven to be reliable many times over) for DA2PP, he does leptospirosis yearly. The kennel on the same property does accept titer results for kenneling and daycare so long as they're signed by the dog's vet. There is no medical reason they shouldn't accept titer results.

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast