Nervous/Excited Urination

Thread: Nervous/Excited Urination

DefaultNervous/Excited Urination

We are watching my brother's 1 year old, black female while he has taken his family on vacation. She is completely house broke, or so we're told. We have had two episodes of her either getting very excited or nervous and peeing all over the place. Yesterday, we took her to my mom's house (she goes there often) and she promptly ran inside the house and peed in my mom's office. This morning when SU went to let her out of her crate, she stood up, butt wiggled and peed all over, then fell in it, rolled around and shook. :-\ I'm guessing it is just because she is excited, but I'm not sure.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to help with this? Or any other thoughts as to what may be causing it? Riley did this when she was a small pup, but grew out of it really quickly. Is this just something that she too will grow out of? My brother nor his wife mentioned anything about it. Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Nervous/Excited Urination

This is called submissive urination, it is usually exhibited by an underconfident dog. Try to not get her excited, when you pet her do it on her sides not on top of the head. Crouch down to her level so she isn't feeling dominated.
    Olie

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

Brigetta also does submissive urination. Once she gets comfortable in a new environment she's ok.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

Lucy did this on greet in any new situation or meeting a new friend for over a year before it subsided. The best thing to do is not scold or punish her and keep greetings as low key as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by mollyrock
    The best thing to do is not scold or punish her and keep greetings as low key as possible.
    never scolding here.* I wouldn't think of it.* I know it's not her fault...it's just going to make the next few days a little more adventurous than we had planned.*

Great advice from everyone! Thank you.* Hopefully once she gets used to our house a bit more we will see less of it.*

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

oh gosh, it didn't cross my mind and I never got that impression that you were doing that..I was just putting out a general blanket response to submissive urination.

Quote Originally Posted by mollyrock
    oh gosh, it didn't cross my mind and I never got that impression that you were doing that..I was just putting out a general blanket response to submissive urination.
    Completely understood.