Pet Insurance

Thread: Pet Insurance

DefaultPet Insurance

I am on the search for a new pet* insurance. Jaden had mushroom toxicity last month and the insurance covered less than 25% of the cost of the vet bill. We are very disappointed. Our bill was just over $1000. I looking to see if there is something better out there. Any recommendations?* We currently have VPI which was recommended by our vet. Thanks!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Pet Insurance

Great......VPI is what we have, I guess I'll be looking too.

Lilprincee is offline Senior Member

I had VPI and it is really not worth the money....On my last claim which was about $200.00 it paid $8.00 - I dropped the insurance at that time. If you find one that is really worth the money let me know. I had it mainly for emergency but they really don't pay enough to make it worth the premiums.
    [IMG]/[/IMG]

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Hunter is offline Senior Member

Had nothing but problems with VPI, I dropped them after a year.

Your best bet is to take the premimums you pay and put them in a sperate savings account. When i had VPI 5 years ago, the premiums were right around $350 a year. Aside from a disaster, after a few years you will have enough money in the account to pay your own bills.

To me this is much better than paying into something, where there is a 50/50 chance they will cover your expenses.

RangerMom is offline Senior Member

I have PetCare Insurance on Reggie. I got it because when I got him he was seven yrs old and I thought it might be a good idea. About a month after I got him, he had an obstruction which was ~1200 and they paid for that. Also when he got hit by a car, also over 1000 and the paid for that too. I think there was a small deductable (maybe not). I don't put in claims for any small stuff and because he previously had ear infections they aren't covered. I basically got it for the big things.

Hunter's suggestion is also a good one and if I ever get my act together, I'd open up a seperate account for the dogs. That way you get the interest $.

Blackie and Ranger ...............................Reggie: 1996-2010 "Fly Reggie Fly"

I will check into PetCare. I am also checking into Pets Health Plan. Has anyone used that one? We are also considering saving the money as suggested. Thanks for the input! If you have or plan on using VPI, I would think twice about. Just my opinion.