Labradork: Comparitive Obedience

Thread: Labradork: Comparitive Obedience

Lab Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultLabradork: Comparitive Obedience

Mention Dog Class and Jack gets real interested. Turned the corner and he started whining and when I opened the door he pushed me out. We started Beginning Agility last week.6 big dogs, six little dogs, two instructors and all four rings. Started with parts of the CGC to observe behavior. Most of the dogs had had basic dog and about half were already CGCs. They then gathered us closer and started handing out clickers with the admonishment "Don't play with the clickers.'

Jack was in great heal position sitting next to me. Unfortunately most of the people heard only "..play with the clickers." So they did. On hearing the click , Jack pivoted so he was in a great front sit and waited for me to reward him. Silly me walked out of the house without even thinking dog class treats. I looked at Jack and he was very intently looking at me with a "well you clicked-treat me" look . The lady four feet away clickered and he just about got whip-lash spinning around to face her. He got as close as the leash allowed and tried to nose her arm to get a treat. No dice. Lady on the other side clickered and he made a bee-line to her sat real straight. Nothing. Then the guy on the other side of the room clicked and he almost did flips trying to get to the treats. He did look at me with a "What? You gots treats or not?" look.

This week we started getting familiar with some of the equipment and clicking at the right moment. Some of the people think Jack is cute wanting their treats. I brought Cheerios. They had string cheese, hot dogs and liver snacks. One of the ladies gave him a treat for sitting. Big mistake. Don't let anyone feed the pig err Lab. Loses focus and in Jack's case he liked the cheese better than the Cheerios. The instructor told me to get some of the high dollar treats from the treat table. He is picking things up fairly quickly and the high dollar stuff does work better than Cheerios when there are so many distractions.

When he was allowed off leash Jack headed for the treat table. He also headed for whoever clicking so he had to go back on leash. I think he was overwhelmed by all the clicking. For whom does the clicker click? It clicks for thee...

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Labradork: Comparitive Obedience

Thats to funny..... I dont know much about clicker training but I bet its hard on the pup with all that clicking.

Its kind of like ten people all standing around you with a $20 bill in their hands saying "want this ....want this ...." ;D ;D

LOL, that's funny. I never thought about that issue with clicker training and so many dogs. Glad to hear that Jack is doing well overall; I'm sure he'll learn to tell the difference between your clicks and the rest of the clicks. Keep us posted!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

LOL - sorry had to laugh. Glad to hear Jack is doing well.