Connie, saw a dog who looked just like Crash yesterday

Thread: Connie, saw a dog who looked just like Crash yesterday

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

DefaultConnie, saw a dog who looked just like Crash yesterday

I was at the park and a woman was walking a huge and magnificent gentle giant at the dog park. He looked JUST like the pictures of Crash you have posted. I thought of you immediately. I chatted the woman up, and it turned out that her dog is named Benjamin, and he's a Fila Brasileiro (Brazilian mastiff). They were bred as guard dogs and have a reputation for being extremely territorial and aggressive to strange people in the house. She rescued him as a puppy and when she found out what she had, she freaked out and tried to get rid of him. But he was so sweet and so affectionate she couldn't do it, and decided to work with him instead. She has been socializing him like crazy, bringing all sorts of people over to the house to feed him and pet him. She will always have to be very careful with him, but he is learning how to trust strangers in the house and is just the sweetest and most gentle guy. He trotted right up to me and let me love on him, and he and Theo had a great time romping. Theo looked like such a tiny puppy next to him!

I tried to find some pictures on the Web that showed the resemblence to Crash, but I couldn't find any that looked like Benjamin.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Connie, saw a dog who looked just like Crash yesterday

What a great story Nathan. I know Connie will enjoy your encounter.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Oh Nathan! Thank you for telling me this story!!

I think what makes me so, so happy about it is that someone so far away, on the other side of the country, saw a dog and thought of my Crash. That just really makes me feel good!

I have seen a few Filas in photos, and of course I am deeply attracted to them. I love that "look" for a dog. What I loved (well, one thing I loved) about Crash so much is that he was so big, strong, impressive-looking, and people would look at him and wonder, "Could he be dangerous?" But to know his heart was to know he was just like you said, a gentle giant.

I don't know a lot about Filas, other than that they have a really scary reputation. But I'll just bet in the right hands, they could be like Crash. I mean, I met Crash's mother. She was FRIGHTENING. Very territorial and aggressive to strange people, yes. We almost thought twice after a good look at her. But like the girl felt about the Fila...Crash seemed so gentle, so sweet, so mild. He always was.

It sounds like she is doing a really good job with him. How old is he now?

I'm going to go look for Fila pictures now! Ohhh, do you think you would ever run into Benjamin again? It would be so cool to see a picture!

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

OK, I looked, and most of the ones I saw looked too "jowly"...you know, like a Neopolitan Mastiff, or a Bloodhound. Lots of skin around the mouth and neck. But this one! This looks like Crash! Is this what Benjamin looked like? Oh, I'd have burst into tears for sure, to see this in person:

Connie and "The Boys":

I just read a little about them. They do sound like pretty tough characters. The height and weight are exactly like Crash.

Connie and "The Boys":

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

Yes, Benjamin kind of looked like the dog in your picture, but he was bigger boned and more foursquare, and his head was less pointy and more like the picture of Crash in your avatar. He is much less jowly than the Fila pictures I saw on the Web.

Benjamin goes everywhere with her. He is totally fine with dogs and cats and strangers in public. It's in the house that she's worried. (Although for good measure, she prefers that people not get between her and Benjamin in the park.) It sounds like when he hit about a year, he started growling at her friends in the house. So she immediately started having them feed him and he has started chilling out more. I think he will never be totally safe with strangers, but she seems like a very responsible owner.

I hope I see him again. I hope I have my camera when I do!

P.S. Here's a dog who looks a little bit like Benjamin: http://www.harleyacrefilas.com/filabrasileiro_cody.html

That's what I was reading about them last night! That, around 8 months to a year, you will begin to notice that protective instinct around the home. Wow. To think that a dog can be bred to do something like that, and it reliably surfaces at the same point in their development. Just blows my mind.

Connie and "The Boys":

RangerMom is offline Senior Member

Connie,

I just wanted to respond to your post about someone thinking about Crash. After listening to your stories about Crash, whenever I hear the word crash, the first thing that comes to mind isn't an automobile accident, it's the picture that you have posted of Crash and his stories. In an off beat sort of way, Crash has achieved a sort of immortality here at JL.

Jeanne

Nathan - sorry for the post hijack.

Blackie and Ranger ...............................Reggie: 1996-2010 "Fly Reggie Fly"