Eating/Training?Biting

Thread: Eating/Training?Biting

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

DefaultEating/Training?Biting

When Tal gets hungry he really bites hard on my hand. I have tried closing his muzzle gently with my hand, substituting a chew toy. What works best is when I put the kibble in my hand and he will eat out of it. Once he starts to eat, he calms down and sometimes I lead him to his bowl. Sometimes he eats out of it and other times he wants me to hand feed him. The night feeding is the only time this happens.

Here's how today went....tell me what you think I should do differently....

I was home sick today and slept some of the am. So did he. About 9:30 I woke up, and Tal was already awake. I had him in his crate and took him out and he did his business. Didn't eat much for lunch which isn't that unusual plus I had two puppy sized Kongs in his crate he played with awhile.

I played with him until about 10:30 then worked on my lesson plans for tomorrow and Friday. I had him in his ex-pen which is attached to his crate. I got the pouty face and a little whine but he went into his crate and went to sleep. I played with him again from about 1:30 - 2:30, let him out to potty then left for a 3 pm Dr. appt. Well it took about 2.5 hours including dropping off my Rx. I figured he would be ok..even tho it took longer than I had planned. He had weed and pooped in his ex-pen on the vinyl floor. I let him out and he did his took a wee. I put him in his crate while I cleaned things up then played with him. I have to leave for about 20 min or so and put him in his crate. When I got back he was whining but ok. I let him out and he went to the door he goes out to potty.

Then I took him to his bowl and he wouldn't eat but wanted to chew so I got his toys and he would chew for like 2 sec then try and chew my hand, foot, arm...then I got some kibble, fed him by hand and he calmed down.

I guess what I am asking is what do I need to change? Am I spending too little time with him? I sat down here after he ate, fixed his ex-pen and put his toys in there. He came near where my chair is, I pet him some, he started whining and I just ignired him. He went into his crate and gave me the pouty look.

I think I am gonna start using the leash outside also. I probably should have already but he is starting to get a little more confident and exploratory...What should I expect from that?

I just really wanna do right by the little guy...

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultRe: Eating/Training?Biting

Well, I think that you are "over thinking" the biting and feeding situation. Labs nip and bite. All puppies do. It's how they explore. Be consistent w/ your "no bites" but expect no miracles. Things change when the adult teeth come in. I never hand-fed Sami and she has zero food aggression/possessiveness issues. She learned quickly that food came from me & that if I picked up her bowl mid-meal that it meant more good things were coming.

I'd probably give up the x-pen and crate him with just enough room to turn around. That is ONLY if you are giving him ample potty breaks (at least every 3 hours). Once he's doing well w/ that, then try the x-pen again.

I wouldn't worry too much about the whining. You've had him less than a week and it's a big change for the little guy. He'll settle in and learn the routine. Just be consistent.

Well admittedly I do tend to overanalyze things a bit... ???

And I guess when you go thru your first experience you need all the advice and reassurance you can get!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I agree with ThatsMyGirl on the ex-pen. I didn't use an one inside until she was potty trained. If I couldn't watch her like a hawk, then she would go in her crate. I tried to keep the crate time consistent so that she got used to the same routine and had the same bathroom breaks every day. Every time we went out to the bathroom we went to the same place and praised the heck out of her when she went. Within a couple of weeks she was potty trained.

Lexie is very mouthy. She had gotten better with biting just before she started teething, now we're having nipping issues again. I've ended up with my pants around my ankles a few times when she's gotten excited and nippy. I'm looking forward to her finishing the teething. She is not food possessive, she usually starts the biting when she wants my attention. She nips me far more than Rob and I've heard this is pretty normal behavior when you're the primary caregiver. Take a look at the puppy advice/training tips forum; there are so many good suggestions for dealing with biting/nipping issues. Some may work for you, some may not. Quite honestly, I have found that "no bite" just accelerates Lexie's nippiness, so I tend to give a low growl and withdraw my attention for a minute or two.

Good luck,

Robin

Quote Originally Posted by putertutor
    I agree with ThatsMyGirl on the ex-pen.* I didn't use an one inside until she was potty trained.* If I couldn't watch her like a hawk, then she would go in her crate.* I tried to keep the crate time consistent so that she got used to the same routine and had the same bathroom breaks every day.* Every time we went out to the bathroom we went to the same place and praised the heck out of her when she went. Within a couple of weeks she was potty trained.

Lexie is very mouthy.* She had gotten better with biting just before she started teething, now we're having nipping issues again. I've ended up with my pants around my ankles a few times when she's gotten excited and nippy.* I'm looking forward to her finishing the teething. She is not food possessive, she usually starts the biting when she wants my attention.* She nips me far more than Rob and I've heard this is pretty normal behavior when you're the primary caregiver.* Take a look at the puppy advice/training tips forum; there are so many good suggestions for dealing with biting/nipping issues.* Some may work for you, some may not. Quite honestly, I have found that "no bite" just accelerates Lexie's nippiness, so I tend to give a low growl and withdraw my attention for a minute or two.

Good luck,

Robin
    Thanks...Your experience is almost identical to what I am experiencing with Tal. And one of your suggestions I really need to work on is being more consistent with the potty times. But right now when I am home I seem to be able to recoginze his potty whine and if I am watching him and he is loose in the house he will go to the door. We always go to the same place...Thanks. It's always good to know you are not alone!