am I being a stage mom?

Thread: am I being a stage mom?

su

Defaultam I being a stage mom?

Hi,
    Both my Labboys love to play fetch, and I'm wondering if I should capitalize on this love of theirs
    and get all three of us involved in something more formal, but I'm not sure of what that would be. Benny is very shy, so
    something with a group would help his socialization, and Milo could use some fun time out of the house too. What does anyone think?
    Is it just enough to play a rousing game of fetch and toss in the back yard, or is there something more we could do to get
    us out and going to the dogs?

Thanks,
    Su

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: am I being a stage mom?

I'm not sure if there is any kind of organized fetching group, but I think formal training and dog sports are ALWAYS a great idea for any dog! Particularly a shy one. It would be a fantastic confidence-builder for Benny!

Do you have any idea if there is a group of dock dog peeps around you? That seems like it might be fun for them, if they like water. If they are very active and high-energy they might enjoy agility, too.

Maybe other people will have some suggestions that would be more specific to their talents. At any rate, good for you for thinking of getting them involved and out there! I do obedience with both of mine, and have just started Simon in agility. He was a bit shy, too, but he has really come out of his shell with lots of praise and training and exposure to different people and environments.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

It's entirely up to you. There are tons of fun organized activities you can do with your dogs...obedience, rally, agility, tracking, hunting, etc. Personally I wouldn't take up one of these activities just for the dogs because it takes a lot of time and devotion on your part so you need make sure that you do it for YOU. The dogs don't even know these events exist and really only care about spending time with you.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Rottnlabs makes an excellent point, don't join these activities just for the dogs, because they don't care.

But if you are looking for a fun activitiy to get involved with that includes bonding with your dog, there's obedience, rally, agility, hunting tests, flyball, dockdiving etc.

Maddy is very high drive and I thought I would see how she would do hunting, so I took her to some practices. She loves it and excels at it. I ended up loving to work with her, so we do competitive obedience and now rally too.

Otherwise, I am sure the dogs would enjoy going to the park and playing just as much as they would going to a formal training class.

su

Thanks for all the thoughts and advice. I'm definitely going to find an obedience group/class
    when the whirlwind around school settles. I think the more the pups and I get out and meet like minded
    folks/canines the more fun we will have all round.

Su

PS I'm going to try and send a photo w/this. Here's hoping it works