Does your dog ever not want to go for a walk?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does your dog ever not want to go for a walk?

Shelbz is offline Senior Member

QuestionDoes your dog ever not want to go for a walk?

Everyonce in awhile Shelby does not want to go on our daily morning walk. She will start off ok but within a few min she starts jumping on me and gives me this look "I'm done" I try to ignore it and continue on our walk but she continues to jump and gravitates back in the direction of home, so head back and the behavior stops. She will also do this if we are somewhere where she can be off lead.

Just curious if this happens to anyone else and if me doing what she wants is not a good thing?
    Just a walk in the park....

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Only time that HK is not happy to be out, is if it is really raining. She loves the water, i.e. swimming and running in ponds, lakes, rivers, but she does not like the rain.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Peanut yes, Baloo no.

Peanut has gotten good at just trudging along though, because she knows I'll make her go anyway (this is only when the weather is bad, otherwise she's good to go). The idea of Baloo NOT wanting to go for a walk is unimaginable to me.

Is there a certain stimulus for this behaviour that you can figure out? Like weather, your mood, things that happened that day or in the days before..?
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

VTEnviro is offline Senior Member

Mine's still pretty much a puppy so even after several hours of vigorous activity and appearing to be dead on the floor, if I so much as go near the leash or walk toward the door, he's nuts again.

Is there a certain stimulus for this behaviour that you can figure out? Like weather, your mood, things that happened that day or in the days before..?[/QUOTE]

not that i can think of, i can understand when she is able to be off lead, we have alot of open areas we go to (usually on the weekends) where she run and romp around and i think she just gets tired. But this morning we went on our usual walk, she went potty then started the jumping and wanted to go back. Whe we returned she went and got one of her toys and played for a bit and now she is sleeping.

Lexis Mom is offline Senior Member

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317 View Post
    The idea of Baloo NOT wanting to go for a walk is unimaginable to me.
    Lexi is the same way! Her NOT wanting to go for a walk or my having to force her is a foreign concept . Perhaps many years from now, when she is older... maybe, but for the forseeable future not likely.

My pretty girl, Lexi!

dweck is offline Senior Member

At night, just before going to bed, I will take Wesley out for "Last of the Tinkles." That's exactly what I call it, btw, and it's a holdover from his younger days when it was required for him to make it thru the night.

At nine years old (almost), it's more habit now than necessity.

And occasionally, he'll be snoring away in his crate, snug as a bug, and I'll come at him w/the leash at 11PM or so and announce "Last of the Tinkles".....

And he'll slowly drag one eye open and give me a look that say.

...are you out of your effing mind?

I'm so mean. I make him go anyway.

Kelrobin Cleveland Street Denizen, CGC, RN [Parker]

"Dear George: Remember, no man is a failure who has friends. Thanks for the wings. Love, Clarence" -- IAWL Screenplay (1946)

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

Clancey doesn't like the rain or extreme cold anymore - but hey he's almost 12. I let him decide

justine is offline Senior Member

Abbey doesn't like the rain. She'll refuse to go potty outside if it's raining and will run back inside. But other than that, she always wants to go for walks!

I'm gonna take it as a "I'm not in the mood to walk...it's way to early" i came home for lunch and took her out for short walk..no problems at all....i guess the 630am walks are getting to her like they are to me...lol Soon enough she'll appreciate the early morning walks as we will be hitting triple digits by june!

Thanks for all your responses...have a great day everyone!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast