Diarrhea-HELP!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diarrhea-HELP!!

DefaultDiarrhea-HELP!!

Sorry...I realize I should prolly post this in H&N, but I wanted some quick responses!* Fergus woke us up at 6:00 this morning and threw up.* Hubby took him outside right away and he went diarrhea.* It's been about 4 hours since then and he's gone to the bathroom 4 more times...but they've pretty much just been liquid ???.* This is our first time dealing with this and were not sure what to do.* His personality hasn't change...still totally energetic and bouncing around, not lathargic at all.* He has been drinking alot of water after he's been sick.

My first paranoid thought was that it was a blockage, but I don't really think that's the case.* He normally eats Eagle-Chicken formula, but the store had run out this week so I bought a bag of Eagle-Duck & Oatmeal.* That was 4 days ago though, so I don't know if that could be the problem??* Any suggestions???

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lcspt is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Diarrhea-HELP!!

Rest the gut for about 24 hours and then give rice and boiled chicken or ground beef.
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

as mentioned before, fast for 24 hours (tomorrow AM will be fine - bot NOTHING until then) and then give some boiled or ground beef (drain the fat) and rice for a couple fo days.

You can give pepto bismol, but I am not sure how much. It is used by many though. If he does not get a little better in 36 hours, a trip to the vet might be needed. As long as it is getting better, and not worse or staying liquid - your on the right track.

Your right, it does not sound like the food 4 days after the fact. Maybe the dog got into something. Even licking the wrong thing can sometimes set it off (such as hot sauce, caffeine or chocolate).

Do you give monthly heartworm preventatives. Was he anywhere abnormal or did he get into another dog's feces? That could lead to other issues, but something tells me this will pass.

How old?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Fasting for 24 hours should be interesting!! After he was sick this morning the first thing he asked for was breakfast, and a couple of hours later he was asking for more food!

To answer your questions....we don't give him a monthly heartworm medication & he is 13 months old.

A couple of months back Cinnamon had the same symptons and the vet refused to see her. Said his practice was full of it at that time as it was a bug going around. He told me to give her Pepto if she threw up again but to give her an Immodium pill (OTC) for the diarrhea. And then a half pill for each movement of liquid until they stopped or she had 3 pills total. I was also instructed to bring her in the next morning at 8am if she was no better and call back if she got worse and stopped drinking so it was not like he was blowing me off. He was only seeing the ones that were dehydrating and needed IV's and older dogs or very young pups.

Told me to try feeding her again either chicken and rice or boiled hamburger and rice after about 8 hours of no vomit. Said the trots would probably last 3 days but be soft not squirting with the pills. She was over it in about that time.

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Mitzi had that a few months ago for one day. I didn't give her anything for a day, then gave her boiled rice with lean well-cooked pork (ant lean meat is OK.) I put about equal parts rice and meat in a food processor and made a thick paste and formed it into half inch balls which I gave to her one at first, waited a few hrs, a few more, then slowly over time, increased the amount. She was fine the next day. I know it's hard to not feed them when they are hungry and beg.

Oh no, poor Fergus!! Hope he's feeling a bit better now.

They sure know how to make us worry, don't they?

Definitely fast him for 24 hours... it'll be harder on you than on him! Diarrhea is his body's way of trying to get rid of what's irritating his gut, so give it a chance to calm down.

Then small meals of rice (and boiled chicken) tomorrow.

Hope he's better soon.

jakeysmom Guest

Hope he gets better. I would def. fast for the rest of the day

Hope Fergus is better soon!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast