What training treats do you give your dog?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What training treats do you give your dog?

DefaultWhat training treats do you give your dog?

I'm trying to find something for Maui that is agreeable to his stomach. He has had some soft stools recentlyand I have a hunch it might be the treats we are giving him. We do 10-15 minutes of training each night, the regular sit, stay, go crate stuff. I have used a buch of different kinds - milk bones broken up into tiny pieces, "Training Treats", some other milk bone type of things with some brown stuff in the middle, and some other kind that looks like the letter, "T". Anyways, we probably give him 20-30 treats at a time when we are practicing, but that works out too (when broken apart) probably 3-4 puppy size milk bones.

So, what and how many treats do your dogs get throughout the day?

Also, how much peanut butter goes into a kong at the puppy age?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultRe: What training treats do you give your dog?

You can just give Maui a portion of his kibble for a treat. One thing that definitely causes soft stools is over-feeding ... so, say he gets 3 cups of food a day, just take the treats from the food portion.

Personally I use California Natural Health Bars, and Natural Balance dog food rolls for treats. I used to use kibble when Sami was having stomach issues.

If he has a sensitive stomach, why don't you use his kibble for treats?

I use anything I happen to have available. I've used goldfish crackers, string cheese, turkey hotdogs (dried in the microwave). I've bought Natural Balance Turkey rolls, dried salmon, liver, Charlee Bears, Old Mother Hubbard Bitz, and many others.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

I was buying some fancy shmancy ones from my pet store, I forget what they were called. As far as the kong, I use low fat PB and put just enough in to cove the big hole. I fill it with plain yogurt sometimes before freezing it.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Kibble at home.

At puppy school or when we're out with a lot of distractions then I use higher value treats.

String cheese (this is good when your working on walking loose leash)
    Hot dogs (great at puppy class) - You can get hot dogs on sale
    Bits of chicken or beef

I really like Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance dog food rolls http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/dog...s/DFRolls.html You can cut these rolls into training chunks and refrigerate it. I found it to be a lot cheaper than buying small packages of training treats.

Pro-Treat Freeze dried liver - Lex loves this, but it's expensive.

I stay away from any treat that looks like it has dyes in it (bright orange). Those tend to upset her tummy.

JacobAlthea&Tatum is offline Senior Member

Cheese, bananna, and I make my own liver treats (boil chicken liver and then bake until dry).
    I'm Jenn. Keeper of two labs in my home and one forever in my heart.

Throw the ball, damn it!

Wow, I dont' know why I didn't think of Kibble. Derr. I will have to give that a spin!

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

I admit, for training class we'll use things like dehydrated hot dogs or Puperoni, because it smells strongly... but for training at home, its plain kibble or broken up milkbones... have also used Mother Hubburd biscuits.

I would use JUST PEANUTS peanut butter, or plain peanut butter, as there would be the least amount of additives.... Anything low fat or that has more ingredients than just roasted peanuts will have other things added to it that aren't that great for your dog (or you)... Just enough to plug the hole on the Kong.
    ~Jo & CoCo

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

Bits of cheese, or I bake my own homemade doggy biscuits (beef-and-marmite, and bacon-and-cheese are the favorites, I'll also do PB flavored ones occasionally). My BF gets him some liver treats, too, which are really high-value and good for teaching things that Toby's really stubborn about, like "drop it". He never really went for kibble, but I think that's because he's a grazer not a gobbler, so it wasn't something he considered special.
    Toby and Chamois say: GO STEELERS!
    [[IMG][/IMG]

Kathryn Guest

Dakota is the say way. Dumb me I gave Dakota a treat last week and that was a BIG mistake!
    We are big buyers of cherrios over here. We use Cherrios for training treats, treats, and when she is on chicken rice for tummy troubles we use cherrios and not rice. he HATES rice!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast