please help my dog is too aggressive
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: please help my dog is too aggressive

Defaultplease help my dog is too aggressive

Hello,
    I have a one year old neutered male golden red lab named Fletcher, I love him dearly and he me. My problem is that he is sooo strong and very aggressive with other dogs, he attacked a tiny dog last night when he was being walked. The little dog, Teddy, is fine but I am freaked, it breaks my heart but I may have to find a new home for him. I really need some help from my fellow Lab guardians.... Thanks you, Patty.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: please help my dog is too aggressive

Have you done any serious training with him? I mean, really serious obedience training. With the right training, your dog could be under your control at any point in time. But it will take time and a decent amount of money...

Also, how about a trip to a canine behaviorist?

First don't lable it aggressive just yet. Was he around other dogs as a puppy? Have you tried any obedience classes? Labs are a very hyper and excitable especially at that age.
    The main thing you need to do is training and socolization. I would try to contact a local tainer or behaviorist ASAP to help you learn to control him and socolize him.
    Good luck. Give him some time.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

You will need to provide more details before anyone on here can help you, but I should warn that aggression of any kind is not easy to overcome and professional help from a qualified trainer/behaviorist is your best option.

Have you had Fletcher since he was a pup? when did he start showing this behavior? how is he off leash with other dogs? how did he end up attacking another dog?

BudGirl8 Guest

Are you walking him with just a flat collar or some other device like a gentle leader or pinch collar? If you're not that might help with the control issue on the walks.

And when he goes after the other dogs, is it the "death stare" growling teeth bared attack or just a happy over excited greeting that gets out of hand? If it is not the death stare type of "attack" then it may be that he needs more socialization and practice in how to properly greet other dogs. If he is actually aggressive (and that's hard to judge over the internet), others on here might have some better ideas, but I'd say you need to get with a trainer pronto and find out what is triggering that. Don't give up on him just yet. My dog isn't real good about greeting little dogs on the leash either, but she's getting better with practice and a good pop with the prong collar straightens her up if she's starting to try to lunge at them.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

With the right training, your dog could be under your control at any point in time.
    Ditto that!!

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Thanks to you all and bless you and your canine companions, he does need some serious training and yes his girlfriend that lives nextdoor was out and I think he was keeping the other dog away from her. I have called a nearby kennel and training center and am going to send him to boot camp, lol. He is such a loving and funny guy, I can't imagine not having him.
    We are walking him with a choke chain, I hate it but it works, I also will try the soft muzzle again unless someone has a better idea. As you can tell my family has not had a puppyish doggie for a long, long time. Our lovely Bouvier had to be put down last year.
    Keep a'comin' with the suggestions and thanks ever so much,
    Patty and Fletcher

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Instead of the choke chain, why don't you try a prong collar? They don't "choke" like a choker does, it pinches giving a correction. I can't imagine walking my Frankie without one!

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Aren't your dogs just gorgeous!! Thanks I will look into a prong collar

BudGirl8 Guest

Make sure if you switch to the prong that you use it properly (I sure wasn't when I first used it). There's a great article in the Training section. It looks very harsh but it is not and it's a life saver on your arm and the dog's throat. Boot camp can help but make sure you get some training too so you both work together as a team...that way it's fun for everyone to go for a walk and do things together* ;D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast