Humpy McHumpstein

Thread: Humpy McHumpstein

DefaultHumpy McHumpstein

is what I should have named him. :
    I have tried to do extensive reading on the subect of dogs mounting. Here are a few articles I have found.

http://www.doglinks.co.nz/problems/b...e/mounting.htm

http://www.canineconcepts.co.uk/ccp5...ting-dog.shtml

http://www.thepetprofessor.com/artic...e.aspx?id=1878

http://www.petsforum.com/labadoption...%20mounting%22

The general concensus of the articles is that mounting is not as big of a deal as the owners of dogs make it out to be. I have been told on this site before how this behavior is unacceptable and should be stopped immediatly.
    So I am confused. Is there info out there that I have not heard/read or come across? If you feel this way please let me know why you find the behavior unacceptable and what I can do to stop it.
    Kimba is 15 months in a few weeks and for 4 or so months now has become almost obsessive with mounting females at the dog park. I am confused on whether I am to be breaking this up or not and lately have been removing him from the park as soon as the aggressive mounting begins. Kimba is not neutered but will be within 6 months. Kimba only mounts females at the park. I have a mixed reaction from owners in the dog park, those who give me the "look" to remove Kimba from the park and those that say basically what the articles above convey "no big deal, it is typical dog behavior and let them work it out on their own", although no matter what reaction I get I am ALWAYS embarrased at Kimba's behavior.
    Does ANYONE else have this experience with their males??
    Does anyone have any advice on how to stop the behavior besides that of "don't take him to the park"??
    I am really truly looking for some good advice or knowledge that maybe I do not know at this point.
    Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Humpy McHumpstein

They say mounting is all about establishing dominance and control. However, lots of new research is suggesting that is not the case.* In fast eesearchers are tossing the whole dominance theory and rank reduction stuff to the wind.* The most recent thought is that humping is just a social behavior/motor pattern that dogs have.* All it means is that the dog is excited or aroused state, Some Females do it too. Researchers say females who do a lot of mounting may have higher levels of testosterone.* Dogs do not understand rank because they do not relate to the experiences of others.* They are self aware but not other aware.* They can not understand "you lose, I win."* All they relate to is the present (this feels good) and the past (this was reinforcing and felt good before). If you do a lot of reading you will come across just as many articles that say that mounting behaviors are a dogs way of establishing dominance over a counterpart. Just like any issue, they have data to back up both sides of the argument. So I guess you need to just decide for yourself, is it a dominance with your dog? Do you notice them doing other classically dominant type behaviors while playing with other dogs like mounting, a dog resting its head upon the other's neck or back, side-mounting (placing the front paws on the other dog's back from the side), strutting tall and circling the other dog to sniff it while it stays still. you decide when to intervene. If it annoys or bothers you, or the dog is doing it to a smaller dog who cant defend itself and is annoyed by it, then step in. Give a command that corresponds with what action youre taking. Or try just distracting the dog with something else first. Bone, treat,toy, walk outside whatever it is you want to use.
    If they still cant be calmed down, then it's crate time. Or consider neutering him. Are you waiting to neuter for a reason?
    Good luck

I absolutely feel it's a unexceptable behavior and should be corrected. You need to teach your dog "off" and "leave it". Until then, I would remove him from the other dog and put him a down stay for a minute or two. If he does it again, I would give the same correction with a longer stay. Third time, I would leave the park (take away his fun) at that point.

What is your reason for waiting to have him neutered?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Jackandlabs
    Why do you feel it is unacceptable? (I am honestly just looking for diff opinions then "let them work it out between them" types.
    I am waiting to neuter Kimba bc we live in Finland and they typically do not neuter dogs until after 1 year of age. There is no epedemic with strays over here so neutering is rare and expensive and MOST vets reccomend waiting until after 12 months to neuter males. We have recently decided to move back to the states and knowing it is MUCH cheaper to neuter, we are going to wait until we get back in Nov (Kimba will be 17 months).
    WEheartlabs...Kimba shows NO signs of dominance in other scenarios. In fact, he is usually the most submissive dog in the park (always rolling over when any other dogs approach him). He gives his toys and bones to us at home freely and with no problems and seems not to have a dominant bone in his body EXCEPT when he finds that one lady love at the park that he wants to mount..

bibber is offline Senior Member

Bodie was a Humpy McHumpstein too. He humped everything from other dogs to Sam's bed every night. : It is embarrassing when you're out in public, and I didn't want him defiling Sam's bed either. We always corrected him, which would stop him for the moment, but a day later he was back at it. We were also waiting until he was at least a year old to get him neutered, but his humping was really bothering us, so we had it done when he was a little over 11 months old. The humping stopped immediately. I hope you find the same thing with Kimba.

Brenda, Sam & Bodie

I'm the proud owner of a female humper. Though she only humps her bed and nothing else. I can tell you that we discourage her from doing it as much as possible, but it doesn't seem to stop her. I don't think she does it out of dominance as there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to when it happens. Most of the time its when she's really excited.

Galadriel Guest

I have a female humper too! She is oh-so-fun at parties when that slightly drunk attendee decides to stick out their leg and say "Humpee Hump!" and she will come running and go to town. Cole will have none of it and will bite her legs until she leaves the poor violated sap alone.

She also always humps the bed pillows when I have to un-pillowcase them to make the beds (though she never humps them when they have cases on, go figure). She also has a fluffy bathrobe fetish.

:

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I think it's unacceptable in that you should have control of your dog, and humping another dog at the dog park is not polite. Yes, it is a dominance display and normal for dogs, but there is no reason to allow it. Hudler has been taught NO, and if he chooses not to listen at the dog park, he's leashed, while the other 2 still get to play. After a while, he's let go again, if he decides to hump the dog again, we go home. Dogs can learn consequences...I am sure of it.

Now at home, it's another story. We aren't offended by his humping. When he was a pup, he loved humping his bed. We let that happen. When we've had guests with dogs, and Hud decides to hump THEIR dog bed, we correct him. If Hudler wants to hump Maddy, we let him do it, she takes care of it herself (she is fixed). If he wants to hump Grace (rare unless she is in heat), she growls and tries to bite him.

That's our story...