Eating Everything outside
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eating Everything outside

DefaultEating Everything outside

Maui is eating everything outside. Rocks, grass, dirt, mulch, branches, ankles, hands. I used the bitter apple spray on everythign and it doesn't stop him. When we go for a littl run on the leash, he grabs the leash in his mouth and rusn with it. Walking with him is difficult because you are constantly holding his head up off the ground. Giving him alternate toys doens't usually help, either (e.g. rope, plush chew toy, etc.)

Its funny, my wife and I have to constantly stop and open his mouth and shake out the rocks. I am nervous he is gonna swallow one. Also, he had some diarrea earlier this week, I wonder if him eating everything in site is cause of this.

I think we are feeding him enough, we give him close to 2 cups / food per day (13 weeks, 18.5 lb)

Oh and on a different topic, if you are trying to leash train your dog, do you just drag him if he refuses to go? Sometimes when we go outside he will just sit on the top of the stairs and I almost have to drag him down the steps, which I feel kinda guilty about.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

PhoebeJeebies is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Eating Everything outside

That's totally normal behaviour for his age ;D ..we had the same thing with Phoebe. If you don't already have one, you should invest in a training collar or something to that effect. The Gentle Leader worked for us although for some dogs it doesn't work...make sure you praise good behaviour CONSTANTLY especially when you first put on a new training collar etc. Don't take it off until he sits. Then praise him big time! When you take him for walks, it is a perfect opportunity for training. Focus him on you by using some treats and praising him for walking beside you when he does. It may take a while but it is so worth the effort. When he tries to pick something up, say "leave it" and if he does, give him a treat. He should never get to the point of actually eating something he's not supposed to eat - you should have your eye on him constantly. As for having to drag him to go for a walk, make it an exciting thing to him by say, giving him special treats on the walk...make him see think walking is the funnest thing ever!

Anyway I so know where you are coming from with this, as our walks used to be so painful...but now they are very enjoyable so it's worth it, believe me!
    Becca & Phoebe

Kathryn Guest

If hes eatting everything outside Id be right next to him and have a leash on him and give the "LEAVE IT" comand and correction. Dakota has gotten a lot better with her leave it. I don't have to go OUT with her any more I can just stand at the back door and give her the leave it comand!
    I had Dakota on a leash for a long time even in the house. She had to go everywhere I went unless I made her stay with someone else. If your puppy isnt willing to come get a toy that excites him and hold it a little above him but in front of him and say come. (our trainer had us use LONG wooden spoons with peanut butter on them. Kinda turn them to the side so they cant lick it off in one lick and WALK and give the COME comand or what ever comand you would like to use.)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

We went through that as well. Ender very quickly learned "DROP" and "LEAVE IT" Don't worry... with practice it will get better.

Stairs: I'd carry him up and down stairs as much as you can, while you can. Too many stairs are bad for their hips at young ages... also he may be afraid to come down them. (much easier going up than down).

I also wouldn't drag him along. He's only 3 months old, I'd let him explore most of the time... being outside has to be very stimulating for him. Most of his exercise will be done playing and stuff in the yard/house at that age.

Has he started retreiving? Best game in the world (in my opinion)
    ~Lindsay

Quote Originally Posted by Ender's Mom
    We went through that as well.* Ender very quickly learned "DROP" and "LEAVE IT"* Don't worry... with practice it will get better.*

Stairs:* I'd carry him up and down stairs as much as you can, while you can.* Too many stairs are bad for their hips at young ages... also he may be afraid to come down them.* (much easier going up than down).

I also wouldn't drag him along.* He's only 3 months old, I'd let him explore most of the time... being outside has to be very stimulating for him.* Most of his exercise will be done playing and stuff in the yard/house at that age.

Has he started retreiving?* Best game in the world (in my opinion)
    He loves retrieving. We play with his little stuffed squeaky dinosaur. We aren't really going for walks, just from the apartment across the parking lot to where we play and he goes to the bathroom. There is only one flight of stairs.

Sometimes he does come down them automaticlly, other times he doesn't. Usually, when he first wakes up in the morning, he just sits and yawns a lot. haha.

Kathryn Guest

if you are walking more than 2 stairs I would pick your puppy up. It is MUCH better to be safe than sorry!

curly is offline Senior Member

Just wait until Maui starts to lose his teeth.... everything is fair game for chewing. I found Zakk pulling shingles off my garbage can rack a few days ago :-\. I can't see what would be good about them except that they are there to tear up ;D.

For sure, if you can, pick him up for now and carry up and down the steps.

And in the beginning of leash training, no dont drag him. Just lots of praise and treats for doing something close to what you want.

Someone in my dog club had a pup like this. Eating mud and poop, rocks etc.

Their vet recommended adding some Adolphs meat tenderizer to their food. Like a sprinkle or 2. Something about enzymes the pup might be trying to replace?

curly is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by WeHeartLabs
    Someone in my dog club had a pup like this. Eating mud and poop, rocks etc.

Their vet recommended adding some Adolphs meat tenderizer to their food. Like a sprinkle or 2. Something about enzymes the pup might be trying to replace?
    Interesting, anyone know anything about this?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast