Do you think it's better for a dog to grow up with your kids?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you think it's better for a dog to grow up with your kids?

DefaultDo you think it's better for a dog to grow up with your kids?

Since deciding to rehome Penny, and looking at rescue for another dog for us, I'm trying to decide if it's better for us to get a younger dog. I'm looking at some puppies between 4 and 6 months old. I really wanted a dog who is more trained than that, but if I have to do it all I'm ok with that too. In your experience, do puppies fare better in dealing with children than older dogs? I know we will have puppy nipping and such, but I mean in the long run. Our last dog was pretty old and lazy when our son came around, and he could have cared less if he pulled out handsful of his hair, as long as he was being touched LOL. He was a senior when we rescued him. Penny is only around a year, but if a younger one (with the right temperament...we are looking at some laid back, submissive pups) was brought up with them, do you think things would fare better?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Do you think it's better for a dog to grow up with your kids?

Getting a puppy is always best with young children IMO. I would never get a rescue with an unknown history and place it in a house with children. A puppy is hard work but you get out what you put in...the result is usually a safe and trustworthy family pet.

I am all for rescuing, but have you also considered going down the breeder route? reputable breeders do a good job of matching up puppies to potential owners.

georgie is offline Senior Member

Just because a dog is submissive does not mean it may not bite. They could bite out of fear.

If you want to get a pup for your children look at the parents & check out breeders. Look at the parents temperments. But any dog, no matter how good natured does not like to be picked on, have ears & tail pulled & eyes poked at.
    Children must be taught how to treat a dog.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

That's a tough one because dogs are individuals just like people are.* I know lots of people that don't like kids and I know lots of people who love them and many more still that are in between.* Dogs are the same way...some love kids from the beginning, others don't like them from the beginning, others start out liking them then decide they don't like them for whatever reason.*

There are no guarantees when you are dealing with a living breathing animal.* Yes a rescue has an unknown history but you could get a puppy raise it for a year or 2 then find out it doesn't like kids so the puppy route is no guarantee either.* Puppies, particularly mouthy Lab puppies, will torment your children until they are old enough to defend themselves so you are still going to have to watch them every second and intervene before trouble starts.*

Ultimately its going to have to be your decision but you need to understand that the grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence or, in this case, puppy pen.* You might want to consider an older pup from a breeder if they have been socialized with children.* Breeders will keep puppies to grow them out.* Not all turn out the way they hoped so they are placed in pet homes. If you go with rescue, make sure the dog has been around children so they have some idea of the temperament.

My Rottie, Thor, was raised from a puppy.* My kids were young when I got him.* The boys were around 4 and 6 and my daughter was born when Thor was 2 yrs old.* He was awesome with kids BUT no one was allowed near his food bowl.* He was very food aggressive.* The kids were taught to respect that and no one was ever bitten. Growled at?* Yes, but never bitten.* I just don't think he had it in him to bite a family member.

Essy is from a breeder.* I got her when she was 14 months old.* She had never been around children but she is wonderful with them but she's a nuturer by nature. ;D

I've posted this picture before but this is Murray (who was then a 2 yr old rescue whom I'd only had 4 months) with my great niece. I had no idea how he would be with young kids, particularly babies, since my kids were much older but I think this picture says it all.

I really don't let my children torture dogs! :P When I mentioned hair-pulling, it was in reference to my son when he was 6 months old. :

Our current rescue had been in a foster home to analyze temperament, etc and they had no problems. She saved it for us. : We purposefully did NOT get a dog from a shelter because you cannot have any idea what they are like.

I will NOT go to a breeder and support making more puppies when there are thousands out there who need homes. JMHO. Not to mention the cost. And you cannot tell how a puppy's temperament will be based on its parents. There are lots of genes involved.

georgie is offline Senior Member

I didn't mean for you to think I thought your kids weren't nice to dogs. I meant that any dog with teeth can bite. I have to tell my grandkids not to be too rough with our girls.
    I think you can tell alot about how a puppy will turn out by seeing the parents. Good breeding helps but there is no guarentees with any puppy.There are many factors to consider but breeding for temperment also helps.
    Everyone has their own opinions on getting a pup from a rescue or a breeder.That is a personal choice.

Kathryn Guest

You would probably be better off getting a younger puppy. Older dogs have habits that sometimes need to be broken. A puppy is easier to train and break bad habits!

MyLabsMom is offline Senior Member

That's a tough call. I've fostered many a dog that I know would be absolutely fine with children (and hence, went to a family with kids). But, are you said, there is no guarantee.

However, in our rescue group, we had many, many, many owner surrenders. These were dogs that were given up due to a move, or divorce or not enough time, etc. Many/most of them came from families with kids and we sought out families for them.

That's just an idea........
    Brenda from Connecticut

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I will NOT go to a breeder and support making more puppies when there are thousands out there who need homes.* JMHO.* Not to mention the cost.* And you cannot tell how a puppy's temperament will be based on its parents.* There are lots of genes involved.
    Reputable breeders are what keep the breed alive. Without them, all Labs would be BYB'S with faulty temperaments.

Cost of what? you get what you pay for. The cost of a Lab puppy is nothing when you think about the amount you will spend over the dogs lifetime.

No, you can't tell how a puppies temperament will be based on its parents. That said, all good breeders are consistant in producing pups with the proper Lab temperament. If you raise the pup right it is unlikely you will have any issues in that department. I'm not saying it won't happen, but it is unlikely.

A lot of genes involved?* ???

What I am trying to say is...rescues come with baggage. You have experienced first hand the result of putting a dog with an unknown history in a house with kids. I have nothing against rescues (I have one myself, but I got him as a pup) but they do not suit everyone IMO.

SandieF Guest

I agree with Trickster. When you buy a pup from a good breeder, chances are you will have a dog with a great temperment. I know that my breeder at least, breeds for temperment. Frodo is the most easy going dog I've ever seen. People comment on it as well. When our cat was a 2 pound kitten Frodo would gently carry it around and often would put him up on my lap. He loves kids (though he does get so excieted when he sees them he pees on them) and has no agression in him at all (not much of a watchdog lol).

Shelby is a rescue. She is coming along slowly but at least there is improvement. She is a holy terror. She tends to nip, barks at everything, even bugs. She tends to be a little selfish for toys and attention and doesn't have even close to the same temperment as Frodo. Although I love her, she will be my last rescue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast