I need new food recommendations...switching from ProPlan SS&S
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I need new food recommendations...switching from ProPlan SS&S

Galadriel Guest

DefaultI need new food recommendations...switching from ProPlan SS&S

*sigh* I'm going to have to switch Cole and Belle's food.

Here's the deal. Cole was eating Kirkland L&R for about 3 years, Belle about 2 years.* Last fall, Kirkland changed the formula in the food and Cole began getting chronic ear infections, and Belle's ears turned greasy.* So this past spring I changed them over to the ProPlan Sensitive Skin & Stomach (salmon-based).

They have been on an almost constant shed cycle since then.* They are nearly bald of coat.* Granted, the coat coming in on Belle looks very good, but they generally feel VERY greasy and they've never felt that way before.* Cole's ear infections are gone, but both dogs' ears remain rather greasy.* They also have horrid breath.* When I was at their kennel this past week, the breeder who owns it felt that they had been on the food too long for this to be a prolonged detox phase and that even with all the changes with the move and the wedding they wouldn't still be blowing so much coat.* She said that she has some clients who have just had no luck with the ProPlan foods.*

The breeder at this kennel feeds the Eukanuba low residual diet and highly recommended it.* I'm not sure what's in that food. I don't think that I can put them back on a Lamb diet since that's what was in the Kirkland.* *Ron also spoke with a friend of his who has a chocolate Lab and she hardly sheds at all.* The friend recommended we switch their food - she recommends an organic diet of some type but Ron didn't catch the name of the food.

So...some suggestions please?* I'd be interested to hear from any of you whose dogs have been on the ProPlan SS&S and what your experience with it has been.* Mine have been eating it since March or so.*

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: I need new food recommendations...switching from ProPlan SS&S

I don't have any advice, but I'm very interested to read the responses you receive. I'm actually switching one of my dogs from the Science Hill prescription Z/D Ultra to ProPlan SS&S and was planning on switching Brigetta from the Eukanuba LB Puppy to ProPlan at 1 year.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

amazongold is offline Senior Member

I tried Shadow on the ProPlan SS too and she did not do well on it at all. We switched to Solid Gold Wolf King with added Missing Link Plus and she has done beautifully on that. No more bald spots on her flanks, ears are clean (as long as Mom doesn't put pizza in the garbage and leave it in reach! :), and her breath is sweet. She gets two scant cups per day of kibble with three teaspoons of the Missing Link Plus.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

If Cole and Belle have been on ProPlan since March and are still having issues, the food isn't working for them. If they both have food sensitivities, foods like ProPlan and Eukanuba are probably not the best of choices. I can't give recommendations on individual brands (I'm not in the US) but I would be looking for something that is wheat, corn and by-product free. Holistic/natural brands are the way to go IMO.

No help here.

BUT, Ron's friend that has the chocolate that hardly sheds- Does that lab have a proper coat?? The reason I'm asking is my inlaws had a chocolate lab who only had a single coat. She didn't shed hardly at all because she didn't have an undercoat. Just a thin topcoat. So that could be one reason. Of course, the food could also be the reason.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Gina, I had similiar issues with the Kirkland after they changed the forumula.. and the Pro Plan, Ruger just did terrible on it.

I'm now feeding both Magnum and Ruger Purina O.N.E. Lamb and Rice and it's been good so far. I am supplimenting both dogs with Flax Seed Oil capsules (COSTCO, a big jar for around $10.00) twice a day.

I hope you find a suitable food. It's a never ending battle, I think

I've been very happy with Timberwolf Organic - Bison. Solid Gold Millenium is also very good but I like the protein/fat ratio better in the Timberwolf. Grayslake feed store carries it for $42 for 33 pounds. I feed about two cups a day - definately worth it.

Both the Kirkland and the ProPlan worked for me. (Kirkland Chicken right now; 2 could not do the lamb.) I'm sorry you're having such a tough time. Do your dogs stay outside a lot? That can contribute to a continuous shed and the humidity lately would contribute to the ear problems.
    Eukanuba Low Residue is fed by a lot of vets offices andkennels as it does exactly what the name says; gives them "low residue" for cleanup!!
    The thing about the lab that hardly sheds ... as Aim said; probably not a proper lab coat or something is being put in the food to reduce shedding. Dutch and Cissy take Nupro in their food and I have noticed their shedding is quite minimal to what the other's are. My guys have shed more this summer than last, but this summer has been a lot more hot and humid than last year, too.

Have you had their thyroid levels checked? Poor coats and chronic ear infections can be symptoms of hypothyroidism. Also, did not you feed Wellness at one time and didn't Cole do well on it? Maybe you should go back to Wellness.

wait a minute......am I understanding some of your dogs don't continuously shed? And there is a remedy for this? Apollo told us all labs shed all the time.....hmmmmmmmmm

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast