Another "What would you do" scenario....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another "What would you do" scenario....

DefaultAnother "What would you do" scenario....

One of our salemen at work has a 13 month old Lab/Husky cross. This dog has never shown any aggression at all. Over the weekend he bit someone. Now for the details:

The man, who is a family friend and the dog has met, walked into the house. Dog's family was outside. Kids were inside. The dog was chewing on a bone. The man bent over to pet him, the dog bit him in the face. Man needed seven stitches. Dog is now in quarantine. If he doesn't pick him up at the end of the period, they WILL euthanize him. Vet thinks he's aggressive, but we all know how that can be.

Jon loves the dog, his fiancee is now afraid of him. She is pregnant and they have a youngster, who the dog hasn't shown any aggression towards either of them at all. Man who was bitten says he's so sorry.... Jon does want want to keep him.

Dog is crate trained and obedient. Till this.

I told him I would post this and send him the link. Please, any ideas at all. Many of you have been there, done that. I haven't, and I respect this Forum's opinions greatly!
    Home of:

Forrest CGC- Lab 2001-2011
    Poopy-Toby-JRT 2004-
    Finn- Lab/Aussie- 2011-
    And 30-some Miniature Horses...

www.fieldofdreamsminihorses.com

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his leader, his love. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. Unknown

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Another "What would you do" scenario....

An adult should know better to approach a strange dog, chewing on a bone no less, and bend over him. I'm on the dog's side here. If he's never show this behavior toward the children, etc. before; I contribute it to the scenario ... all bad ... from a stranger approaching him, leaning over him and the dog having a prized possession. Hope that the family gives him another chance.

still, though, .... the dog shouldn't bite. I would be nervous too. All in all a crappy situation.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

1scottie2labbies is offline Senior Member

I too hope the family gives him another chance. The stranger in the situation did wrong not the dog. I love dogs and have had them all my life. Never would I put my face in someone elses dogs face. Like Zoe Zoe said the dog had a prized possession. If the family does not want to take the dog back maybe letting a rescue that understands the situation give the dog a chance.

There is always the option of placing the dog in obedience classes to modify the behavior and gain control. Putting the dog down seems like it should be a LAST resort in this case, especially given the circumstances.

Lexis Mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by FieldofDreamsMinis
    One of our salemen at work has a 13 month old Lab/Husky cross. This dog has never shown any aggression at all. Over the weekend he bit someone. Now for the details:

The man, who is a family friend and the dog has met, walked into the house. Dog's family was outside.* Kids were inside. The* dog was chewing on a bone. The man bent over to pet him, the dog bit him in the face.* Man needed seven stitches. Dog is now in quarantine. If he doesn't pick him up at the end of the period, they WILL euthanize him.* Vet thinks he's aggressive, but we all know how that can be.

Jon loves the dog, his fiancee is now afraid of him. She is pregnant and they have a youngster, who the dog hasn't shown any aggression towards either of them at all.* Man who was bitten says he's so sorry....* Jon does want want to keep him.

Dog is crate trained and obedient. Till this.

I told him I would post this and send him the link.* Please, any ideas at all.* Many of you have been there, done that.* I haven't, and I respect this Forum's opinions greatly!
    As Parafly9 said, a really crappy situation, but I have to agree with zoezoe.

According to what you've said up there, I see several things that (at least in my opinion) this man did that precipitated him being bit.

1. he walked into the house.* Dog's family was outside & kids were inside* Whether you've met the dog or not, you just don't walk into someone's house when there is a dog present & there are no adults around (sorry the kids being inside do not count)

2. The dog was chewing on a bone* *Unless it is my dog, I would never ever approach an animal who has food/bone/etc. knowing that many animals become very protective about that item.* *My Lexi growled at my sister's Britany when he got too close to her food dish one night, she'd never growled before or since then.

3. The man bent over to pet him* You don't say how many times the dog has met this person.* *If it were just one or a few times, then it is possible the dog did not remember him.* *Unless I have met the dog many many times and even if I know the dog well, I will not mess with them when they have food.* I do not go near my sister's Britany when he is eating & he has known me since he was just 12 weeks old (he is 4 years old now).

Of course these are just my thoughts & opinions on this scenario!

Deb

My pretty girl, Lexi!

I agree, the man approached this dog all wrong, BUT a dog should never bite. Stronger house rules on the dog, stronger obedience training. With all this said, bring the dog home. A dog makes one mistake, lets kill it, but your children can make mistakes all day long, I dont get it personally...

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

The trust has been breached, and that can be hard to get over. There are a lot of what if's... But it does not sound like an aggressive dog, it sounds like a very natural reaction to me!

I would recommend getting a private trainer for a session or two... maybe different scenarios with food and possessions and strangers. That may help bridge the trust of the family with the dog again.

If the family is not comfortable, I think a rescue should take him too. NOT pts for this one accident, that could have easily been avoided. The dog deserves more than that from its owners.
    ~Jo & CoCo

Quote Originally Posted by CoCosMom
    The trust has been breached, and that can be hard to get over.* There are a lot of what if's... But it does not sound like an aggressive dog, it sounds like a very natural reaction to me!*

I would recommend getting a private trainer for a session or two...* maybe different scenarios with food and possessions and strangers.* That may help bridge the trust of the family with the dog again.

If the family is not comfortable, I think a rescue should take him too.* NOT pts for this one accident, that could have easily been avoided.* The dog deserves more than that from its owners.*
    He DOES want to get a trainer for the dog. That wa one of the things he asked if I thought it may help.

I agree wholeheartedly with you all! THANKS!! You all are the best!

Lucy
    Home of:

Forrest CGC- Lab 2001-2011
    Poopy-Toby-JRT 2004-
    Finn- Lab/Aussie- 2011-
    And 30-some Miniature Horses...

www.fieldofdreamsminihorses.com

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his leader, his love. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. Unknown

I was thinking that, althought the strange shouldn've have done what he did, it is not at all peculior. How often do people pet your dogs without asking, just reaching down and rubbing the head, even if he is chewing on a bone. It happens all the time, and the dog really should'nt bite.

Hope all turns out A-OK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast