Pet Ramps
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pet Ramps

DefaultPet Ramps

Hi All!

I'm thinking about getting a pet ramp for my small SUV (Saturn Vue). Currently, I lift Lexie in the truck and while this is ok for a while, I don't think it's going to be a long term solution since she keeps getting BIGGER! She's not into jumping into my truck, like I've seen many dogs do, and I don't know if it's good for her to do it at this age anyway. Just wondering what your thoughts are on products, options, etc.

TIA!

Robin

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Pet Ramps

I don't know anything about the products , just think it's a great idéa! I can see you lifting a BIG (Beautiful) Lexie into the truck... ;D You will get a bad back! I hope you will find what you are searching for. Good Luck!
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

Kathryn Guest

Long term I think its a great idea. I know the girl who rents from my uncle had one for her little dog(not a lab) and it worked great. I never saw it or anything just heard about it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I'm worried about my back, lifting a struggling 50 pound dog can't be good over the long haul. She's not real thrilled when mommy lifts her up (no more Miss Cuddle in my arms. I'm also worried about her hips...Is it good for a 5 mos. old pup to try jumping in a truck? Granted, it's not a high truck, but it's still bigger than a regular car.

Thanks guys.

Rob

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

She'll learn how to jump in the truck. Just keep working on it with her. It took Theo several months to get it down.

Tease her with something she really, really loves, and then hold her back and throw it in the truck. Then release her. It's also helpful if there is someone inside the car in the front seat egging her on.

I have the Pet Step pet ramp. It it very sturdy, but it is heavy. I found it to be too much of a pain to deal with, so I continued to lift Gracie until she was about a year old. Now she jumps into the back of my SUV. They do sell a step that attaches to the hitch and folds back when not in use. That one may be more convenient.

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

Well, it's really better for her not to jump into the truck, since she's still a pup.

Recently, one of my girls hurt her back. She was unable to jump up into my SUV due to pain, so I bent to pick her up - right at the same time she tried to jump anyway. She broke my nose. As soon as I was able to see again I went to my attic and got out my dog ramp and have been using it with her ever since. Obviously I should have gotten it out sooner. They are a bit of a pain but good to have, even if just for emergencies.

Katy Guest

This is what Linny was talking about.
    I've always thought it was a really neat, convenient idea.

http://www.crosscreekkennel.com/stepsuv.htm

MTI Guest

We get a catalog from California Covers (we bought a custom fitted car cover) and in addition to the ramp, they also sell a set of "legs" that turn the ramp into a picnic table, so I guess you can get more use out of it.

I had purchased a pet ramp for Mercedez after her hip surgery because she wasn't supposed to do steps. It was the Pet Step Ramp but I had to return it because Mercs refused to use it. I guess at 2 years old she wasn't gonna try anything new. It was a great product though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast