Lab energy overload

Thread: Lab energy overload

modgirlreporter Guest

DefaultLab energy overload

We've gotten lazy, having an adult basset who's used to our rhythms and is fairly low-key, so now we have this new resident who was a stray before she adopted us and is high energy and very needy. ;D She's fairly quick to learn but also seems very young. Any tips on teaching her stuff like "don't chew up MY toys; chew up your own" and "don't steal the pizza, wait until I offer you some"????

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Lab energy overload

She needs to go to school !!

The sooner the better

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Yep...what she needs is exercise. Lots of it. How old is she?

Many people follow the 5 minutes of exercise per month of age rule of thumb until the pup is at least 12 months old. The rule is designed to stop overexercising and putting strain on growing joints. So, following the guideline, a 1 year old dog needs at least a full hour of activity every day. Really active Labs often need more than that to stay satisfied. Some exercise ideas;

Off leash running/exploring
    Playing with other dogs
    Playing fetch/retrieving
    Swimming
    Jogging or biking with you

Mental stimulation is also a must. Sign her up to an obedience class ASAP. Provide her with plenty of toys and bones to chew on. Play games in the house and yard (hide and seek with treats, teaching new tricks, etc.)...basically, keep her busy. A tired dog is a good dog. Labs are WAY different from Bassets in terms of exercise needs to be prepared. Good luck!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I agree with the others -- EXERCISE and training

"A Tired Lab is a Good Lab" -- Socrates

"A Bored Lab that is not Tired is a Royal P.I.T.A" -- Confucius

"A Dozing Lab Rarely Causes Problems" -- Bhagavad Gita

"A Lab sufficiently exercised has partaken of Nature's own Prozac and Valium" -- Hippocrates
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Swimming really is so so effective at tiring them out. We are amazed how an hour of doing retrieves in the water and she is a mellow pup the rest of the day.

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

all of the above. School is right up there. She needs to learn her commands.
    Good luck and have fun.
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

modgirlreporter Guest

Actually, the training is coming along pretty nicely. She learned to sit pretty for a treat after watching George do it once, she's already learned "go lay down" when we need for her to get OUT of our faces for a few minutes* ;D -- PLEASE let me change my clothes myself! -- and she's even learned "it's GEORGE'S turn to be petted, you've HAD your turn." Okay, she's not QUITE learned that, but we're making progress.* Only one accident in the house so far which we expected and were prepared for and, wonder of wonders, she's been left with George all day two and a half days now (soon to be three) and hasn't eaten the couch (knock wood). Speaking of the couch, she has assumed control of it. That used to be George's bed. He's not thrilled. We may need a second couch. We figured she was worn out from being on her own and needed lots of rest in a secure environment and she does sleep a lot, but when she's awake, she's AWAKE and rarin' to go. There isn't anywhere to take her swimming but she's very obedient on a walk -- actually, in general she's eager to please if we can make her understand what we want her to do. I guess it's just a bit of a shock suddenly having this energetic large creature in a small house.*