Paws bleeding

Thread: Paws bleeding

Sedonarona is offline Member

DefaultPaws bleeding

Had a question. I recently ran my dog out in the desert for the first time in a couple months due to the super hot weather out here in Arizona. We have been taking walks, but nothing off pavement...well, after less than a mile, I noticed her lagging behind and as she got to me a limp was noticable. I got her into the truck and that is when I saw the blood. she had worn a small patch of padding off of each of her four paws, the back ones being the worst and they were bleeding. Is this due to lack of offroad use? She is a big female, about 100 lbs. at 15 months...could this also be a factor? I am getting ready to get her out for her first quail season and I am wondering if I need to go and get her little paw covers for her feet...we have a new Super Cabela's store here in the Valley and they are pretty pricey, but if I need to, then I will. It also could have been from dry cracked pads...any solutions to that?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kate is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Paws bleeding

i can"t be of any help but had another question about the pads. Misty's are almost like sand paper and i was wondering if there was anything to help that. it doesn't seem to bother her but it is hard on pantyhose and such
    Aren't we comfortable!

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

Not sure about most of the questions, but Bag Balm helps with dry cracked pads.* It was originally made for cow udders but works really well for other things.* It's non-toxic.
    Toby and Chamois say: GO STEELERS!
    [[IMG][/IMG]

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kate is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by TobysTrix
    Not sure about most of the questions, but Bag Balm helps with dry cracked pads.* It was originally made for cow udders but works really well for other things.* It's non-toxic.
    Thanks, I'll try that.
    Aren't we comfortable!

einstein's legacy is offline Senior Member

Could the sand be too hot for her to safely be on?? If it's too hot for us, then it's too hot for our pets as well, and I know that if her pads are cracked and dry the hot sand could definately irritate them. Let her pads heal well before taking her out again and special booties may be beneficial for her. I'm sure others will come along with some sound suggestions as well. I hope she heals quickly!!

They are burns from whatever she was running on. Happened to two of mine a few weeks ago when they escaped from the front door and ran up the hill. They came back limping; looked like torn pads, but vet said they are actually burns. I kept them wrapped up with neosporin on them; they healed in a few days, but Dutch sure didn't feel good at first. Here is a pic of him milking it good!

ILoveBuddy is offline Senior Member

I agree that if it's too hot for your feet, it's too hot for your dogs feet, be it on pavement or off road/desert conditions. You may need to consider only walking her during the early morning, or after the sun sets...and not until her feet are completely healed. I have used bag balm on my dogs feet when the groomer accidentally nipped them and it helped alot. Good luck!

Sedonarona is offline Member

That makes a lot more sense than what another person told me...something about her being so big, her paws couldn't take the pounding, which makes no sense. And, while it was during sunset, the ground was probably the hottest it had been all day from the heat. Thanks for the advice.

I run Jaida and she has had torn pads many times. I use Shaws paw wax as preventative maintenance, and then I just have to build her up to the running again after off season (I am in Tucson). Labs have weak pads compared to many other breeds since they are water dogs. I also have booties that she wears when we hike or for runs when the ground just seems too hot.