CoCo too rough with other dogs...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CoCo too rough with other dogs...

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultCoCo too rough with other dogs...

I'm concerned that CoCo is too rough when she plays with other dogs... It may be because ever since she was 3 months old she has played with her "cousins" Rocky (the boxer) and Bruno (the rottie) who are 6 months older than her... aka "the boys".* So she learned to play tough with them, and thus all dogs; however as she gets bigger she's still does the rough bitey face and I'm concerned she'll hurt one of them (or another dog).* Already she's bitten Rocky hard enough to cause a little break in the skin, and I don't want to be responsible for her hurting another dog or a large vet bill!

I love the exercise and fun they have when playing together, so I don't want to put at end to it.* Is there any way to get her to tone it down??*

As a side note, I've seen her play with one very dominant female, and CoCo spent most of the time on her back!* She had fun, but she wasn't as rough as she is with "the boys".
    ~Jo & CoCo

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: CoCo too rough with other dogs...

not sure Jo I have the same problem with Mocha. She dosn't realize that she can't play full on body slammin bitey face with a puppy or our 7 lb. yorkie. therefore we have to seperate them most of the time. Hopefully someone else will have some ideas.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Sounds like normal lab behavior to me. My guys rough house bitey face all the time. They take turns being the one on the bottom.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

I have a similar problem with Brigetta. She doesn't seem to know/respect the difference between larger dogs and smaller dogs/puppies. She is used to playing pretty hard (chasing, bitey face) with my sister's German Shepherd, but I have a 10 year old dachshund mix who has had health problems and I can't let them work it out on their own because Brigetta would probably end up hurting Prudence's back or something. In fact, yesterday she was too rough with her and ended up breaking the skin near her eye. I monitor her play with Prudence and when she gets too excited I pull them apart or if I see her running up to Prudence about to pounce I yell "leave it" and that helps a lot. But when she is in doggie daycare they told me they can't put her with younger dogs because of this.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

This is my 3rd week with two full size dogs after getting Bob. They are always doing the bitey face and seemingly Darla can get pretty wound up.

Before Bob it was just me and her. Does the fact that they play bitey face and are getting used to it make her more agressive to other dogs now that she is getting used to being an alpha?

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

Zoe used to be the bitey face queen. :
    If she got to the point where I thought she was being too rough, I'd say, "chill." If no compliance, I went up and grabbed her by the collar and put her in a sit.

She knows the word "chill" now.
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by zoesmom
    Zoe used to be the bitey face queen.* *:
    If she got to the point where I thought she was being too rough, I'd say, "chill."* If no compliance, I went up and grabbed her by the collar and put her in a sit.

zoesmom- I like the idea of using one word like "chill" when they get to rough. I'll have to start that.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by zoesmom
    Zoe used to be the bitey face queen.* *:
    If she got to the point where I thought she was being too rough, I'd say, "chill."* If no compliance, I went up and grabbed her by the collar and put her in a sit.

Good idea! I'll talk to DH about that one and hopefully we can be consistent.

We're talking a 14 month old BOXER and a ROTTIE here, not small dogs... you would think they could handle my 45lb CoCo, but she has acted like this with them since she was 10lbs and they've always let her! They love to play together, but CoCo is too much of a face-biter, and now she has the strong jaws to go with it... expecially with the Boxer's jowells!

The Rottie likes to lie on top of her, and the Boxer just jumps and runs like an idiot... lol!
    ~Jo & CoCo

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

When they are playing, practice taking them out of play frequently. Like every two minutes. If you call them and they come, yay! treats and all sorts of happy things. And then *immediately* let them go back to playing, so they learn that when you call them it doesn't mean that playtime is necessarily over. If you call them and they don't come, then do what Linda suggests. They do figure it out eventually. Now if Theo is getting too rough (which is pretty rare now that he's older), I just call him out and he *usually* (unless it's someone he really adores) comes trotting over for his treat.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

The mad, frantic behavior around other dogs is something they tend to grow out of. CoCo is young and immature and doesn't know any better. When other dogs start to correct her "rude" behavior she will eventually learn some proper manners.

ALL dogs I have ever known/owned were exactly as you described as puppies. It is totally normal. Through trial & error, age, and experience they DO learn the art of civilized doggy communication. It just takes some time.*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast