Opinions on Lepto Vaccine

Thread: Opinions on Lepto Vaccine

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultOpinions on Lepto Vaccine

Just returned from getting Sami's rabies shot and the vet recommended the Leptospirosis vaccine. According to the vet, labs are in a high risk group because they swim. Sami does swim several times a week in a creek that is surrounded by woods (meaning lots of wildlife).

I'm off to do my research but wanted to get some opinions here too.

TIA

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Opinions on Lepto Vaccine

Read the 2006 AAHA vaccination guidelines as a start. I no longer am doing it because the vac covers so little of the many serovar's out there, has short term coverage, and has the highest rate of reactions of all of the vacs. We are in a low risk situation so for us it's a better choice not to do it.

SandieF Guest

I vaccinate against it. We have a creek that runs thru the park where I often walk the dogs. I know it doesn't cover everything but it does cover some things. According to him, the number of cases of Lepto has risen in Southern Ontario, and I will not take any unneccessary chances of my 2 getting sick.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rayofsun is offline Senior Member

I just wanted to share that Raven got that shot as part of her 2 year shots and she had a reaction (we think to that) and her whole face got swollen and itchy. It only lasted a day and a half (with benadryl) but it was scary. I'm not saying that I wouldn't give it to her again but that it is fairly common for that to happen, or so I am told.

We chose to do it this year after our vet had first started mentioning it for the past 2 years. I too, am in Southern Ontario and know wthat it occurence has risen. Through the grape vine I heard of a dog who contracted by drinking out of puddles on a nearby path. Piper had no problems, just a little lethargic. As it was her first time receiving this vaccine she must go back for a booster in three weeks. I don't like to over vaccinate which was why we held for a few years, but from the news and my vet's recommendation we went with it.

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

My vet recommends I do it, as my dogs are working retrievers and are often in the woods, swimming in ponds, etc. If my dogs were just house pets he said he would not recommend it.

My friends in my dog training group all have vets that have recommended for the vaccine, for the same reason my vet does.

I will do it this year, and the lepto booster will be done as a single shot - not near the administration of any other vaccines.

Linda1 is offline Senior Member

Jazzy had a severe reaction to it and my vet will no longer give it to her.

Brookville, Pa.

ohenry is offline Senior Member

We did it as part of the requirement to get the dogs in Hawaii, but or vet in NC said they rarely did it because of adverse reactions. Our dogs had no reactions.