Paw chewing

Thread: Paw chewing

DefaultPaw chewing

Clarence has been chewing his paws more and more. He sticks his whole paw in his mouth (he switches off between front and back ones) and gnaws for awhile. I looked between his pads and there isn't anything in there that would cause irritation. It seems like he does this if there isn't a chew toy within reach and he doesn't feel like getting up to get one! Anyone else have this? My Wheaten Terrier did this too but I don't want it to turn into a bad habit.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kathryn Guest

DefaultRe: Paw chewing

Annie would do that till she got really sick :'( . She was cutting her own toe nails.
    Dakota will chew on her feet after I clip her nails.

Is your puppy itching other places, could be something else.

No, he's not itchy anywhere else. (except when we put his prong collar on-but that's not itchy, just annoyed!) He was neutered on Friday but he's left the surgery area alone pretty much. I don't think his fur has started to grow back there yet-by Friday the vet said he'd be itchy down there.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kathryn Guest

When did it start?
    Next time hes doing it watch and see if hes chewing his toe nails with his back teeth! As long as hes not doing damage id think hes trying to clip his own toe nails.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Paw itching can be a sign of allergies, but it is unlikely to see allergies in a puppy as young as yours.

Maybe walking through some sort of grass irritated his paws. Either that or you could just be mistaking normal grooming for irritation.