hardwood floor and labs
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hardwood floor and labs

lab13 is offline Senior Member

Defaulthardwood floor and labs

Thinking of moving and was wondering about hardwood floors. My two labs I worry would scratch it terribly. Has anyone found a hard wood that is best for this? Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: hardwood floor and labs

It depends on the type of hardwood I think... We have Birch, which is harder than, say, Pine. However, it does have scratches... There are some high quality wood laminates that are very attractive and won't scratch at all. And our cork floor downstairs is as good as new.
    ~Jo & CoCo

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

I think most hardwoods stand up to the nails, but forget pine floors and dogs. We have pine and they are deeply scratched...to the point it looks almost "rustic"

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Buddy and Bailey is offline Senior Member

we have oak hardwood floors- the dogs do make it but it is in the finish not in the wood- so one day we will have to sand and re stain

SandieF Guest

I also have oak and the dogs do scratch it. It's been about 5 years since it's been sanded and refinished and it's due again now anytime.

Labs4life is offline Senior Member

We have cherry hardwoods and you can see scratches in the finish. From what I learned it takes a bit of time for the floors to harden. We installed our floors about 10 months ago. Area rugs help some but I'm afraid I will be refinishing them sooner than I hoped

The Constitution is suppose to guarantee everyone the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, but the Constitution does not guarantee everyone equal outcomes.
    Some people are more talented, educated, thieving and dishonest than others.

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

We have oak and so far, no marks other than from moving furniture. We've lived there 15 months and had Toby for 7 of those. I don't know what was used for the finish, some are more durable than others. I guess we lucked out.
    Toby and Chamois say: GO STEELERS!
    [[IMG][/IMG]

Labs4life is offline Senior Member

Maple and oak are in the middle of the "Janka" hardness scale. Pines and American cherry are at the lower end and Brazilian cherry the higher end. We do have a 25 year aluminum oxide/urethane finish,the finish is good but we do get indentations in the wood from dog nails and furniture
    The Constitution is suppose to guarantee everyone the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, but the Constitution does not guarantee everyone equal outcomes.
    Some people are more talented, educated, thieving and dishonest than others.

Quote Originally Posted by mollyrock
    I think most hardwoods stand up to the nails, but forget pine floors and dogs. We have pine and they are deeply scratched...to the point it looks almost "rustic"
    Ditto. Our last boy was 112 lbs. He did a great job "distressing" the new pine floors. It adds character to the room....along with all the dog hair...LOL ;D

Maple is harder than oak (my dad is a builder) but the dogs do scratch up the finish so eventually you will need to re-do that. Pergo holds up well but it is rather loud, even when you clip your dogs nails, they still click.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast