Poor Mellow....
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Poor Mellow....

DefaultPoor Mellow....

Well, life with a puppy is certainly never boring.* Last night we got a big kick out of him. He was gated in the kitchen with hub and I while we were doing paperwork.* He started playing with the 12 pack of Diet Pepsi that I had stored in the corner- going after the box like it was some big bad thing.* Before long a can popped out and rolled across the floor.* He was so excited he couldn't get any traction to go after it.* We were laughing and he was having such a good time with that can, for about fifteen minutes, until we heard, "Pssssssssss..." and noticed soda spraying all over the place.* His mouth isn't big enough to go around the can but he caught it just right, like a can opener - one tiny little puncture. Oh, well, fun while it lasted.

But then today - BIG trouble. As I took him out I picked up the mail that had just come.* I was looking at it when I noticed he was smelling something in the ground.* He quickly lifted his nose and for a second looked startled.* Then I saw them - bees.* I HATE bees.* I'm yelling for him but he is under attack by about four of them.* I was trying to swat them off with the mail when he yelped, did a weird body flip and took off for the flower bed with me right behind.* I caught him and got the one off that was still on his side.* I looked up and saw about 30 bees swarming.* I almost had a heart attack as I picked him up like a football and took off for the front door.* We live in gov't quarters so I was able to call pest control, I just don't know when they'll get here to take care of it.* The pitiful thing is, he kept yelping and looking around, as if under attack, for about 20 minutes.* I called my neighbor (his godmother and dog LOVER) over and with her glasses we were able to find a stinger near his eye and pull it out.* We let him have an ice cube and he actually rubbed his nose on it.* It took him quite a while to settle down and I watched him like a hawk all afternoon.* *This is STRESSFUL being a new mother!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Cinder4evr is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Poor Mellow....

Poor baby! Good thing you got all the stingers, hope he continues to do well

Mel
    Mel is offline Senior Member

Oh, the poor little thing. What a nightmare! :'(

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

bibber is offline Senior Member

Yep, you've got your hands full! ;D

Brenda, Sam & Bodie

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

Poor baby. But through all the current and upcoming adventures, remember this: you will look back fondly on the days when he was small enough to pick up "like a football" and tuck under you arm and run (great analogy, BTW). In retrospect, it seems like the Tobe-Monster was that small for about 2-1/2 minutes... now, at 9 months old, he's almost my weight (well, OK, he's just over 80 pounds and I'm 110, but he's already at least as strong as I am if not more, good thing "Dad" is 205).

Oh, and since it seems like you and he are lucky that he's not allergic to bees - you'd have seen the reaction right away - it's still a good idea to keep a supply of Benadryl on hand for such emergencies. Been there, done that, went to the Emergency vet at 6 AM on a Sunday (of course). Ask your vet about the proper dosages, and if it's OK to give to a pup that young.

And just for the record, that is one adorable pup you've got there. Your daughter is pretty cute, too. Quite the combo. More pictures???
    Toby and Chamois say: GO STEELERS!
    [[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by TobysTrix

Oh, and since it seems like you and he are lucky that he's not allergic to bees - you'd have seen the reaction right away - it's still a good idea to keep a supply of Benadryl on hand for such emergencies.*
    Great suggestion - thanks! We have a vet appt next week so I'll ask him. Don't worry, more pictures will be coming! I LOVE my digital camera.

georgie is offline Senior Member

That must have been so scary. I am glad you & Mellow are okay. He is a gorgeous puppy.

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

Yes, ask your vet about putting together a first aid kit for your pup. Both my BF and I have one for our cars, and we have modified the main kit at the house to include pet supplies, too. But with a little guy, the dosages change, and there are some things that you shouldn't give at an early age.

How's he feeling after the stings?
    Toby and Chamois say: GO STEELERS!
    [[IMG][/IMG]

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by TobysTrix
    Yes, ask your vet about putting together a first aid kit for your pup.*
    That is an excellent idea.
    Poor Mellow...hope he's feeling better.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

Awwww poor Mellow!!!!! I hope he's feeling better today!!!
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast