How often should you bathe your dog?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How often should you bathe your dog?

bdk6069 Guest

DefaultHow often should you bathe your dog?

I dont know if this is right or not, but Ruby has never really had an official bath until today.*(I will edit to say, since she was a peeing -in- the -crate- puppy) She'll be a year old on August 24.* I have taken her shampoo to the lake many times, and hosed her off when we got home.* But today, she got the works.* Clean, clipped nails, and fur at a local groomer.* What a treat, How often should I treat her (and me)* to this ? Is Thursday too soon? ...Just Kidding..* *Anyway, my question is..HOw long between grooming appointments?* She smells good, she looks good, and she was an angel..I like it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kathryn Guest

DefaultRe: How often should you bathe your dog?

When my puppers are well puppies(under 3 months) they get a bath when they are dirty and smelly. other than that they ONLY get one whent hey REALLY need it.

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Labs don't need to be bathed unless they REALLY get into something.

Ender... whether it's sand or mud... just dries off and the stuff litterally falls to the ground.
    ~Lindsay

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ender's Mom
    Labs don't need to be bathed unless they REALLY get into something.*
    This is the only time I bathe Brigetta.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

I've heard here many times that bathing too often can dry out your labs skin, which would be very uncomfortable for them!

CoCo gets a hose down after she swims in the lake or ocean, and that's it. If your dog is smelly, a lot of people use a "listerine bath" by filling a spray bottle with 1/2 water and 1/2 listerine and spraying the dog down... Otherwise, just wait until the mud or whatever has dried, and brush it out. She has only had 2 real baths... once on her first day home as a puppy to get rid of the kennel crap on her, and once a few weeks ago when she got undercoating from underneath my in-laws car down her back!
    ~Jo & CoCo

Trickster is offline Senior Member

As Enders Mom said, they don't really need to be bathed unless there is a reason...for example, they roll in poop and really stink. Other then that I wouldn't bother. Bathing strips the coat of its natural oils.

Mocha only gets one when she's got into something stinky or if she swims in a yucky lake I take her shampoo with and wash her belly and hose her back off (which she HATES)

Katy Guest

If my boys look a little dirty I get the hose out for some water fun. I spray them with the plain water and that refreshes them. If they get spots of muck on them I'll "spot clean" with a wet rag. Rory is 4 and has only gotten a real bath once his whole life. Both my boys smell fresh and clean.

MTI Guest

For us, there are only a few definative times, 1) when he starts to stink; 2) after going to the beach; or 3) when he finds a mud puddle at the doggy park.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Angus and Simon have both had one "bath" in their lives, before they came home from the shelter.

I know it seems so luxurious to go and have them all "done up!" But really, they don't need bathing unless they really get into something smelly. I believe that by shampooing regularly, you can actually cause a myriad of skin and coat problems. Think about it...dogs were never shampooed in the wild! My boys never, ever smell bad or doggie. Sometimes their coats get a little dirty and we take them down to the lake and let them have a swim. They come back ultra-soft and clean...I think they feel just as good as if they'd just gotten a bath with some fancy doggie shampoo.

What you need to do is get you a Zoom Groom and get into brushing!!! Yeah! You will be surprised at how much fun you will have with this! It is a great way to pamper them and make them "pretty" ( ), but much easier on the wallet (AND their coat) than a day at the "spa."

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast