McKenzie will be six months old next month and I am planning on having her spayed. We are supposed to start puppy kindergarten next month though and it is a six week program. The next session is not until July of 2007 so I'd like to be able to attend the class comming up next month. My question is do female labs usually start to go into heat at six months or is this just the recommended age to have them spayed? I want to take her to class but I dont want to wait too long to have her spayed. :-\ Any advise?
[attachment deleted by admin]
Mckenzie the lab and Maddie the Mastiff wanna be.
I don't know when they usually go into heat but here's something to think about. Cinder was spayed at six months. She has an inverted vulva and I have read a lot of posts saying their puppies inverted vulvas were corrected by allowing them one heat cycle. I would maybe ask your vet how her vulva looks.
I have NEVER in my life had a lab (or large breed dog) come in to heat before they turned 8 months.
Emma was 13 months...
~Veronica and Nikki~
Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....
Nikki 6 months
Contact your breeder and ask when McKenzie's mother had her first heat. that will give you a GOOD idea of when she will.
We had CoCo spayed at 6 months, because we were leaving her for 2 weeks when she was 7 months with my in-laws, and my BIL had 2 intact males. We also were attending weekly obedience classes. What we did was schedules the spay the morning after her class, so that she had the full week to recover. It wasn't an issue, except she was really hyper after being kept close for the whole week!
~Jo & CoCo
Zoe was spayed at 6 months. She went to classes; she was fine in several days, even though she still had her stitches.
Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
I'm finding this to be true. Sami's mom and grandmom came into heat between 14 and 15 months. Sami just hit 14 months and we're still waiting for her 1st heat ... so definitely ask your breeder about her lines.Originally Posted by LabMommyKathryn
Or, just go ahead and do it now. I don't think there would be any harm in doing it a month early. But she really would be fine if you did it the day after her class and gave her a week to recover.
Connie and "The Boys":
Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD
Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever