Amount of Pooping
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Amount of Pooping

DefaultAmount of Pooping

Hehe the technical term for it..

Anyways, our Maui was doing really well housetraining with the crate and all. Per our vet's advice, we really only let him out of the crate to go to the bathroom and play outside with us (about 2-3 hours / day right now). When he comes in the house, we play with him for maybe 10 minutes and then he goes into the crate (and he almost never complains).

In the past day he started pooping much more. Like 5x / day. And, in the house! He did it to my wife this morning twice. She let him out of the crate, was trying to the leash on and he went running into the computer room and pinched a loaf.

We are feeding him per the directions on the puppy chow and his diet didn't change in the last week. One thing we have had though is peanut butter in the Kong which we use for a "get in the crate" incentive. Is PB a laxative or something? He usually gets a tablespoon of PB in the Kong, twice a day.

Advice? Are we feeding him too much? (12 weeks old = gets 1 cup food in the AM, 3/4 cup at night (Purina Pro Plan Puppy Chow large breed), 2 tb of PB a day about, and then a half-dozen or so treats for training. Usually milk bones.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kathryn Guest

DefaultRe: Amount of Pooping

I am confused.. How long are you leaving him in his crate?

Dogs poop. thats what they do. for a LONG time Dakota went EVERY time we went outside... every puppy is diffrent, some need more food, some need less.

Well I thought it was confusing because he was like clockwork the first week we had him (3x / day)

He is in his crate for usually an hour and half to two hours and then goes out for a 15-20 minutes. We do this all day long untill night time when he sleeps straight through. Right now, he rarely roams the house (maybe 20 minutes a day, highly supervised).

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kathryn Guest

It sounds to me like hes spending to much time IN his crate. Puppy's do sleep a lot but only being out of the crate 20 mins here and there isn't enough time.
    For potty training I had Dakota leashed to me ALL THE TIME! that way she could be out of her crate but I could keep a CLOSE eye on her. They don't like to mess in the area they are in, so they USUALLY wont mess while on the leash in the house. You also having more watch have an easier time in correcting mistakes and things the puppy shouldn't be doing.

Our vet told us he recommended a scale-back crate trainnig, i.e.

First week - puppy only allowed to roam outside and inside the house he is either in our arms or in teh crate, no exceptions

Second week - After he is outside he can spend 10 minutes in a small area of the house (i.e. kitchen)

Third week - Expand area and time, so 20 minutes in living room and kitchen after going out

Etc. Etc.,

We thought this seemed excessive so we do play with him in the house but only a little. Also, my wife (bleeding heart!) takes him out of the crate when he is asleep and cuddles with him on the couch. I should expand as well - most outdoors trips are 20 minutes or so, but usually the after-dinner trip and before-bed trip are longer - like 1/2 hour, where we tire him out throwing the tennis ball and stuffed dinosaur around.

Kathryn Guest

I am not understanding WHY you vet thinks the puppy needs to be in the crate that much. You take them way from their mom and brothers and sister and put them in a crate?! and then very slowly bring them into the family?!
    I am sorry I don't agree with that!
    Dakota was ONLY in her crate when she couldn't be watched. She slept ON the loveseat or in my chair with me. She was leashed in the house and she would let us know when she needed out, they don't wanna mess in their living area. If they are leashed they have to "LIVE" in that area.
    I NEVER left Dakota outside. Out, potty, back in. We did play outside a little but not very much. She got a lot of play in the house.

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

Your puppy is spending way too much time in his crate! He's a baby, for goodness sake, and he just got taken away from his family. The worst thing you can do is to isolate him.

Here's the deal with crate training - if you can't watch him, then he needs to be in the crate. Otherwise, he needs to be hanging out with his new family. If you are sleeping, showering, or working on something that demands your full attention, then the puppy needs to be crated. Other than that, he needs to be out with you so that he can bond with you and have some play time. He'll never learn the rules of the house in his crate. Sorry, but you're vet is WAY off base with this.

I guess being a first-time dog owner I assumed the Vet knows. Maui does go out quite often, (always with us). She is never left alone unsupervised except for maybe if we leave the house grocery shopping or something he will be alone for an hour or two. But otherwise he is always with us - his crate is in the living room during the day so he is there during dinner, TV, whatever, and in our bedroom at night when we sleep. Usually, after we play with him, he just goes into his crate and sleeps.

The thing is that when he isn't in the crate, even if he is tied to our belt loop on a 6' lead, he still pees / poops in the house without warning. Not a huge deal, we have the stuff to clean it, but I just don't want him getting the idea that it is ok.

FYI - Don't think our dog is abused or something that would make me feel horrible! We are interacting with him constantly! As a matter of fact, I can say that in the past week we have owned him my to-do list has grown exponentially because I haven't spent any time on anything else! (like Bills!)

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

I have to agree with too much time in the crate. This is the time you really want to bond with him. Make him feel like part of the family and watched every second. If you can't watch him, yep into the crate but only for the time you are busy. Otherwise he should be spending as much time with his 'family' as possible.

Kathryn Guest

I think a 6' lead is TOO long for a puppy. They need to earn that space. Puppies give you warnings before they potty in the house. Sniffing the ground, walking around LOOKING for something when everything else is on the OTHER side of his "SPACE" I wouldnt go with more than a 4' lead. the shorter the close he is to you the better you can watch.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast